Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

stumped by a banging burnham

Options
what type of circs are you using? where? both outlets of the boiler on top being used [tied together] / remove 1/2 of chamber blanket to force thermal water movement/ get a lwco on it / fix leaks / fresh water will kill it

Comments

• David Sutton_2
    David Sutton_2 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    possibly steam ???

gents i need your help, i have a school with a burnham v76-t fired at 1.50 x 80b, its got a 2" surply and a 2" return both in the frount section the control is a R8148A in the same sec. and the temp and presure gauge are also. the temp and the control read the same.and its a constant circ. system with several zoned hydro coils. the prv. is in the rear sec and is starting to drip very hot water and its banging like a water hammer in a steam boiler and sounds like its making steam, i lowered the temp to 170 in the frount sec. how can i stop this , would moving the control to the rear help ??, or piping the return to the rear sec. help. this is a good one all help will be greatfully accepted thank you David
  • David Sutton_2
    Options
    could use some help here please

• David Sutton_2
    Options
    update

i went back to the boiler this after noon and when i had left the last time i had set the limet down from 180 to 170 the 10 deg. drop brought the temp further away from the steam point and the boiler has not made a sound since, i git info from ron on oil-tech-talk he suggested that scale was forming on the boiler and i belive he is right on the money here, the boiler has had numerous leaks and circ drippings that i'm sure there has been alot of new water added to the system and the boiler is scaling , during the march break at the school i will drop the boiler and remove the return and the plug in the rear and clean the boiler to get the water recirculating thru all the section not just the one or two in the frount. am i on the the right trak here .. Thank you .. David
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    Think about

putting a water meter on that feed line. It does sound like scale from too much feed water.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    Pictures would really help Dave, b ut

initially I'mm suspecting a poor to mediocre near boiler piping problem...did it always happen or just since..."you were here..." Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • David Sutton_2
    Options
    only durring the coldest times......

i looked back thru our records and the same complaint was the each year for the last three the boiler was put in in 97 by another company ill try to get a photo thanks maddog....david
This discussion has been closed.