Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Aquastat settings

Options
Tony_5
Tony_5 Member Posts: 2
I have a New Yorker oil boiler with a coil for hot water with the Honeywell 8124A aquastat with low high and diff. Circulator called by thermostat - one pipe - iron radiators - Question - I would like to minimize my oil usage this winter the best I can and it seems that the boiler is firing often during the night to maintain temp. I do not need hot water at night and my thermo settings are 58night/64day. Oil is at $1.35/gal - any recomendations for the aquastat setting? The boiler is sized correctly for the house but I'm going through more oil than I'd like to.
Thanks

Comments

• B. Tice
    B. Tice Member Posts: 206
    Options

Tony, is this a FR series boiler? If it is, it has a fairly healthy water content, and you may be able to lower your hi limit and lo limit slightly without affecting your hot water production.What is your settings now?
  • Ray M_2
    Ray M_2 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Aquastat

I would spend some money on a indirect fired hot water heater and set up the boiler for cold start.You will have plenty of domestic water and the boiler will not run as much.

Good luck
    ray

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Tony_5
    Tony_5 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    aquastat settings

Yes, the boiler is an FR -122W. I currently have the settings at 175/195 20-diff. I have never had a problem with hot water production or heat. It seems that the morning warmup is faster with a higher high limit. (I've had it at 180F and temps in between). Correct me if I'm wrong but the aquastat should keep the boiler in a temp range around the low limit when there is no call for the radiators. Would it be worth a try to have a wide limit spread, say 160F low 195F high?
    Thanks for any input.
  • Ron Beck
    Ron Beck Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Aquastat settings

A wider range will work well if you can keep a good supply of hot water. The key is the fifferential setting. Keep it as high as it goes.
    A more important issue is the near boiler piping. The boiler should have been installed with a boiler bypass so alot of the system return water bypasses the boiler and goes into the supply piping. This allows the boiler to maintain higher water temps for domestic and the rads will get to what ever temp is needed for the given outdoor temps.
This discussion has been closed.