Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gentlemen I need suggestions

Options
Lee_2
Lee_2 Member Posts: 48
Need your help gentlemen with a small problem. I have a Ridgid 1224 pipe threader. Since most of you know, I thread a considerable amount of 1-1/4" pipe threads. I have recently begun to purchase new dies for the threader too often because midway through the threading process a chunk of the thread is chopped/gouged out. Doesn't happen all the time, but seems to happen more often. I use Ridgid stainless cutting oil, the dies are installed correctly, the machine is kept in top condition. Ridgid suggested the batch of pipe I received might be the problem. I tried different pipe. Still does it. Ridgid has no suggestions. Does anyone have any suggestions/previous experience? The closest repair is some distance, and I have to take the machine there, and the machine is no small hand tool. Help!!

Comments

• Bill_14
    Bill_14 Member Posts: 345
    Options
    Pipe

Lee,

Are you positive that your steel pipe is DOMESTIC made, as opposed to foreign made? This will make a difference.

Bill
  • Online Sheriff \"Murph\"
    Options
    Also

be sure to use the dark cutting oil, tried the other stuff and it does NOT work at all!! cannot remember but i believe it is hercules brand !!

Murph'
  • Lee_2
    Options

Wheatland Pipe Company supplies my pipe
  • Lee_2
    Options

Dark cutting oil is no good. I use High Speed Dies.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    I

have noticed this too, Lee. I keep the dies a tad loose in the head for a kind of "self-adjusting" action, use dark oil with sulfur base. I have been cleaning the dies meticulously after each thread. Seems to help. One thing I learned is that the pipe itself must be really supported/true upon threading..even a small wobble can exert unwanted pressure on one side of the cut, and tear out threads.

Some days I toss 3-4 attempts and want to beat the machine senseless. Other times things go fine. Go figure-

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Boilerpro
    Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
    Options
    This is related to a previous post I bet....

That was very educational. I started it and I think it was titled..Poor quality pipe and fittings...made in the USA. I have found Wheatland pipe to be of poor quality as are most other makes whether domestic or not. I use Sharon Tube pipe exclusively now, all other brands I have come across seem to have alot of brittle material in the steel and cause threads to tear out and die to chip when I am threading manually.

Boilerpro
  • jeff_25
    jeff_25 Member Posts: 110
    Options

i think you can use the dark oil on high speed dies i have troubles with old or watered down oil good luck also try reseting or dies in the holders jeff
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Pipe

we have had the same experience and I beleive its the pipe. I think even domestic pipe is not being made as well as it was. We can do six threads fine and then gouge out a big chunk.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.