Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

low water cut off

Options
Does the boiler shut down due to leak of water,or do you just fill it? Also do you check level after unit has been off for aleast 15 min. , this will let water in piping return to boiler, also is it every 2 or 4 weeks? Steam(air)vents on raditors and mains leaking alittle steam? Over time this can cause also. Hope this helps
John@Reliable

Comments

• paul_20
    paul_20 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    LOW WATER CUT OFF PROBLEMS

help...I have a 2 pipe steam system a two year old weil mc clain boiler sgo6. No auto water feed. how long should the water in the system last before I have to add more? I know stupid question my old boiler never need water added.This boiler can't be trusted 2-4 weeks before i have to add more water. I have checked and replaced 3 vavles on radiators. Should i need a water feeder? how much water can be lost from the air valves on the returns? any other suggestions?
  • antman
    antman Member Posts: 182
    Options
    Returns

You shouldn't have to add water that frequently, Approx once a month, it should have that in your owners manual. Do you have any underground returns that could be leaking? Is the near boiler piping done properly so your getting dry steam up to your system. Definatley look through your owners manual and look at the near boiler piping diagram, it all starts at the boiler, However, if you have buried return lines it is not unusual for the new boiler to stir up some problems. Now, you say you have 2 two pipe system with VENTS on the radiators? Do you have steam traps on the radiators as well? I have only seen this once before, however there were no traps. The water has to be going somewhere, it should be coming back to the boiler.

Good luck, Ant

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    Another thought

There's a lot less water in the new boiler than there was in the old boiler.
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.