Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The Piers at Groom Lake

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,198
Tell you what I wont use the words Groom Lake on your site again.

Just as Bud has removed most the references to it officially on the Piers.

I know sometimes I talk much louder than I hear.
Steve, Dave and Tom I'm sorry if I have offened you.

Hope you have a wet day tomorrow ;)
Time for me to go dry out on Pier1.
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• hot_rod
    Options
    visit the new Pier at groom lake

here is the link to the place some of the cave dwellers are hang'n. It was created by the people for the people. Dave, Steve and Tom have not said it is a problem. as far as we know the "concept" of groom lake was not for sale, and it is well alive in the hearts of those wandering around the Piers.

http://www.thesheetmetalshop.com/thepier/new_set.htm

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • hot_rod
    Options
    visit the new Pier at groom lake

here is the link to the place some of the cave dwellers are hang'n. It was created by the people for the people. Dave, Steve and Tom have not said it is a problem. as far as we know the "concept" of groom lake was not for sale, and it is well alive in the hearts of those wandering around the Piers.

http://www.thesheetmetalshop.com/thepier/new_set.htm

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    Just for the record, here's Steve (klatu's) remark on this:

Dan,

Thanks for the stand-up. I saw that and went ballistic, this is one of the reasons we are bailing. For me personally, the less contact I have with this industry the better (except my customers of course). Yes it's a low blow, but it was not unexpected. Have a very fruitfull New Year!

Steve

----- Original Message -----

To: Merkers

Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 4:26 PM

Subject: Fw: For what it's worth

FYI.

Dan

----- Original Message -----

To: Bud@thesheetmetalshop.com

Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 4:23 PM

Subject: For what it's worth

Bud, it took Dave, Tom and Steve years to build the identity of Area51hvac.com. They worked hard, sacrificed and put up with a lot of nonsense along the way. When they decided to leave the site they put a $5,000 price on its identity and logo. There have been no takers as yet, but I see that the name and logo are still for sale. I think that you're out of line in using the Groom Lake identity for your new site. I think it's disrespectful. If you have their permission, that's another story, of course, and if this is the case then I apologize for bringing this up. I'm on the outside looking in, and it doesn't look fair to me right now.

Dan Holohan
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    Hey Dano...do you want me to \"polish up\" BUD'S attitude

for ya.....I'd love to straighten his act out...it's just not ethical to do things like that....Everyone thinks it easy being the boss, i.e., things...that is until they do it and have to put up with the nonsense ...only then do they see the error of their ways...I'll give him a verbal-Ray Nitschke!!!!! Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • hot_rod
    Options
    just the messenger

thats all, and the message to Steve should be one of pride in starting what is continuing. he could come tell us, maybe he will. maybe he wont. he was a founder no doubt. he did not spend much time talking at the orignial groom lake. personaly, I do not think he can understand why it continues as his role appered to be maily of tech support/function of "area51hvac". But in my heart I belive Dave knows why it continues today, that is the spirt of groom lake, and you can not unplug that.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    And I am

only a messenger too. And I hope you heard what he said, Steve. He's frustrated and disgusted and he worked so hard and did such a fine job but it didn't work out the way he had hoped it would.

It's about the DREAM, pal. It's what keeps men going.

Sometimes it works out for the man, and other times it doesn't.

I think you understand this. No need to make explanations. This isn't about guys getting together to share knowledge. I'm with you on that.

This is about what you CALL it. Those guys really wanted this thing to die in its current form because of what went on. They were making a statement. Hatred and nastiness and egos killed Groom Lake. And those were honorable men who walked away from it, those three guys.

Call it something else other than Groom Lake. Don't suck on them. They grew out of this site when I got frustraed enough to shut it down and start anew, and they had enough courage to create something new and different and wonderful. And when they were done, that should have been it. It was their wish. They built it, and they had the right to shut it down. It was their creation.

And that's all I ever asked. Don't use the NAME. It's a matter of RESPECT. And if you do use the name, in whatever form, pay them. Don't be beaters. For all the differences I have with Frank, he at least saw this.

I have no other interest in this. It's just that they are my friends, Steve. They grew and built from this site.

You're an honorable man, too, and I hope you understand what I'm saying here.
    Retired and loving it.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    I understand

Tell you what I wont use the words Groom Lake on your site again.

Just as Bud has removed most the references to it officially on the Piers. From what I have seen this week, as the site changes so do the original references he had made.

Dan is this what one would call intellectual property?

I know sometimes I talk much louder than I hear.

Steve, Dave and Tom I'm sorry if I have offened you.

Hope you have a wet day tomorrow ;)
    Time for me to go dry out on Pier1.

thanks for your time, Dtape
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
This discussion has been closed.