Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil- McLain HE 2 Boiler

Options
I had a service call were a HE boiler was side wall vented with standard flue pipe.Does anyone have the installation manual for this boiler.I assume that this boiler is designed for direct venting with stainless flue pipe.Any help would be welcome.

Comments

• Tom Meyer
    Tom Meyer Member Posts: 300
    Options
    Weil-McLain

All the manuals and lots of other information can be found at the Weil-McLain website.

http://www.weil-mclain.com/

Tom Meyer
    Senior Designer/Trainer
    Precision Hydronics
    www.precisionhydronics.com
  • HE II venting

The HE II was a replacement for VHE and can be vented several different ways. The manual I have is Part # 550-141-564/0691DP on pages 9 thru 11.

1. It can be vented into a inside lined chimney, sizing in accordance with table for unit.

HE II-3 4" dia

HE II-4 5" dia

HE II-5 5" dia

HE-II-6 5" dia

2.Outside chimney when used with a corrosion resistant metal liner.

3. Direct exhaust, use 3" diameter pipe runs through heated space (at least room temperature, i.e., inside chimney, etc.) use 3" GALVANIZED PIPE.

Runs through cold areas (below room temperature, i.e.,chimney with one or more walls exposed to outside, etc.) 3" 304 or 316 stainless steel vent pipe. And use venting thru cold areas on page 11. Which states

a. Crimped ends of flue pipe must point towrds the boiler

b. Do not install seams of vent pipe on bottom of runs

c. Tee and trap kit can be ordered from Weil McLain part # 382-930-210

d. Attach 304 stainless steel tee by drilling 5/32" hole through 1/4" hole in tee and attach with srew provided.

e. Attach drain trap to stainless steel tee with silicone sealnt.

All joints in any case must be sealed with silicone sealant (400 degree F Dow 732 RTV or equivalent.

Hope this helps, if you need a copy of manual I will run it off and send it to you just e-mail me your postal address. As you can see there are case that allow galvanized pipe.
  • Bill Riordan_3
    Bill Riordan_3 Member Posts: 31
    Options

Thank you for the infomation. The flue pipe is located in unconditioned space, therefore must be stainless.I am curious about the proper vent termination outside and guidelines for distance from building openings. I would appreciate a copy of the install manual to ensure the safe operation of this boiler.
  • Tom Meyer
    Options
    VHE/HE/AHE Manual

I was going to e-mail a copy of the PDF file from Weil-McLain's website, but it's 48 pages long.

So, here's the URL for their publications site:

http://www.weil-mclain.com/contractor/downloadpublications.htm

Tom Meyer
    Senior Designer/Trainer
    Precision Hydronics
  • I went to Weil-Mclain

site and there is a PDF for AHE but not for HE II. What did I miss?
  • Tom Meyer
    Options
    Take a look at the diagrams.

Many of W-M's unit designators are interchangeable. Look at the diagrams of the units and see if one of them is your unit.

Tom Meyer
    Senior Designer/Trainer
    Precision Hydronics
  • Would the venting instructions be the same

for all of the units?
  • Tom Meyer
    Options
    Exhaust

If you are talking about the exhaust clearances and locations (i.e. away from doorways, windows, etc) generally they are, but I haven't read each one. Just the ones we spec.

Tom Meyer
    Senior Designer/Trainer
    Precision Hydronics
  • Bill Wright_2
    Bill Wright_2 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    HEII Manual

Bill,

If you don't get a manual from some other source -- send me your address (off line if you prefer) & I'll next day one out to you on Monday.

Bill Wright
    Manager, Radiant & Plumbing Systems
    Weil-McLain
  • Faxed venting inst

this AM. full manual will go out Monday AM. Hope this helps.
  • Bill Riordan_3
    Bill Riordan_3 Member Posts: 31
    Options
    THANKS

Timmie, I received your fax. Thanks for all your help and to the others on the wall.Have a nice weekend.

This discussion has been closed.