Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

how long should it take for a steam heat boiler

Options
Fred Harwood
Fred Harwood Member Posts: 261
So many variables. From stone cold to hot rads, the time depends upon the quantity of cold water in the boiler, the firing rate, piping insulation, venting, and so on. Once the boiler gets hot, how long does each heating cycle last? And tell us more in detail about the other variables, perhaps even post a digital picture of the boiler.

Comments

• jim_14
    jim_14 Member Posts: 271
    Options

what is an average time for boiler turn on until heat is achieved at radiators???

Im talking about a 1 pipe gas fired steam boiler with 6 radiators. It takes about 45minutes from start up to hot radiators from a cold start/cold pipes situation. I dont think this is to efficient but what do I know???
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    You know more tan you think Pal

there are many variables, but a properly-sized boiler with good (not even great) main vents and decent returns should be able to go from an ice cold start to warm rads in 15-25 minutes and piping hot in 35-40 minutes. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Craig_2
    Craig_2 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Mine takes....

FWIW, my Trane vapor system takes about 20-30 minutes to feel heat at the radiator. That's using the original circa. 1920 boiler originally designed to burn coal. And during the heating season. Never really timed it from stone cold.
    Just another data point for you.

-cf
  • terry_6
    terry_6 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Mine takes about 20 minutes. Well insulated pipes, very good main vents.
  • jim_14
    jim_14 Member Posts: 271
    Options

well there is no main vent. I havent timed the heating cycle, maybe I will do that. And I do have one rad the spits and gurgles, its in my bathroom, and since thats a wet location anyway (with a ceramic tile floor) I dont worry about it. Only thing I noticed is that my vents start to hiss loudly on my first floor radiator which is furthest from the boiler and when I finally get heat everywhere the bsthroom radiator spits water but it does eventually heat.
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    Don't waste your time. timing it

one more time....you need a main vent...Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • tp tunstall
    tp tunstall Member Posts: 63
    Options
    like mad dog

said...get a main vent. also be sure you have low pressure, one and half lbs. also look at the chimney and see if water vapor is coming out. are you losing any water?
This discussion has been closed.