Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Putting my dog to sleep s milne

Options
Mad Dog
Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
Been there...remember the good times. If you'll feel up to it in a few months a new Foxhound pup might do the trick - maybe not you'll see. Animals liven things up don't they. Hey don't forget the great life that you gave her on earth..... Sad Dog

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=210&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Not a good New Year day

So many of us share personnal storys here, please forgive me but I think telling this story will help me.

My dog Ruby of thirteen years had been getting sicker and last week we took her to the vet and then the animal hospital. We were told she had alot wrong with her and the worst was her body was attaking her own red blood cells. We put her on steroids and brought her home "hoping" we would get a few more months with our friend.

New Years Eve my wife came to bed crying and took some pillows and a blanket down stairs. Ruby was so weak she could'nt get up on the couch.

At four in the morning my wife came to me crying and said she could'nt take it anymore, that Ruby was having trouble breathing. I took her into Boston to the Angell Memorial Hospital. I had to carry this 85 lb dog into the hospital where the vet on duty told me she had alot of cards stacked against her and I should decide how far I wanted to go. I called my wife and waited while she drove in. We both agreed we did't want her to suffer anymore.

We held her while the vet gave her the shot and we said goodbye to her.

She was our first child and was in our wedding. She went on vacations, sailing, crosscountry skiing, everything. Our friends use to joke that when they died, they wanted to come back as our dog.

When I got back home I told my five year old son, with tears in my eyes, that Ruby was sick and went to the hospital. " When will she come back ". " She won't pal " I said. I told him about the movie he saw, All Dogs Go To Heaven. Thats where Ruby is now. " But I did'nt get a chance to say goodbye ".

Ruby was a Foxhound and one the most beautifull dogs you'll ever see. They look like a big beagle. People would stop there cars and ask us what kind of dog she was, when we walked her. " She's beautifull " they would say.

She was born at a hunt club , where they did'nt want the puppys. They where destroying the puppys as soon as they where born. A friend of mine was there taking care of the horses and picked Ruby up out of the dirt. She fed her with an eye dropper and let her sleep on a heating blanket. She never was in a litter or weaned by her mother.

Foxhounds are a pack animal. They sleep in a pile together in the barn. Guess where Ruby slept ? On our bed next to us. She was 90 lbs. Do you think that was love ?

I wish I had a photo to show you but maybe latter, I'll have to scan some.

Thanks for listening. I can wipe up the tears off my keyboard and get to work.

This morning was the worst. I did'nt here her shaking her head and jangling her collar. She did'nt come down for breakfast with me. She was'nt hogging the blanket when I woke up.

For those of you who have had to do this you'll understand. Dogs can be just pure love. She was our friend, child, and a member of our family.

We will miss her greatly.

Good bye Girl.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Jim Walls_2
    Jim Walls_2 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    Ruby

Scott , you and your family have my sympathies,I can only imagine the loss you feel. You see , I have never had to part with such a close family member , but I know that the clock is ticking. My wife & I have no children by natural child birth , however we do have the most wonderful 13 year old yellow labrador retriever you would ever want to meet. He is a blessing from God , a true companion & next to my wife the best friend I have ever had. He to, sleeps with us ( used to ,arthritis keeps him from making the trip upstairs at night, I spend many a night sleeping on the floor w/him until 1 or 2 am when I finally head upstairs)He has been on every vacation with us since he was one , I think at last count he has left his mark in about 14 states.
    The vet says he has no business going for walks anymore, but he loves to be in the woods , so we just walk REAL slow and let him enjoy sniffing & taking in all the scents. Sorry for rambling about my friend , but as you see , I understand your pain , in fact your story brought tears to my eyes , I know it may not be much conscilation right now , but just remember the life you gave her , sounds to me like Ruby could not have picked a better family to share her love with.
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    Scott

I understand your feelings. I've had to do that before with our family dog, Maxwell, and it is an awful feeling. We did it last year with our pet hamster and even that was a traumatic event. The little fella is in our backyard but we all cried when we held a little ceremony at his burial.

A pet is a family member that takes on the personality of its owners and molds itself into their lifestyles. After the grieving process, you may find that replacing Ruby may be difficult, but necessary.

I'll give our dog Spike an extra hug today.

John
  • TGO_7
    TGO_7 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    The Rainbow Bridge

I am very sorry for your loss - please let me share this with you.

The Rainbow Bridge.

There is a bridge connecting Heaven And Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of the bridge there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies, it goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. The old and frail animals are young again. Those who are maimed are made whole again. They play all day with each other.
    There is only one thing missing. They are not with their special person who loved them on Earth. So, each day they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up! The nose twitches! The ears are up! The eyes are starring and this one runs from the group.
    You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take him or her in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again, and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet.

Then you both cross over the Rainbow Bridge, never again to be separated.
    Aurthor unknown
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    I think

God gave us dogs so we can get a small idea of what His unconditional love for us is. Dogs always forgive, are always happy to see you, love it when we talk to them, always understand.

There hasn't been a day in my life, that I can remeber anyway that I haven't had a dog. Or maybe a better way to put it is that a dog hasn't had me. My lab/rott mutt thinks to this day that he's a lap dog. Yeah, 138# a lap dog.

Another one will come along and steal your heart Scott. But you'll never forget this one.
  • Family members

Scott you have our sympathy. We have experinced this many times in our family. My daughter who has worked with animals all her life and still does dog grooming always had more animals in the house than we could handle. Everyone one of them was loved and loved us back. We have put to rest:

"Puffy"

"Pogo" who thought my wife Judy was his mother. Judy bottle feed him because his mother abandoned him.

"Tasha" a champion obedience golden retriever she was my dog.

"Megan" another retriever she won National Super dog championship. I swear she was human.

"Jeremy" a big oaf of a dog whose tail never stopped wagging another golden.

My daughter now has "Ruby" a dalmation for the kids a while back when 101 of them was popular.

All of them except Ruby have gone to doggie heaven. We found that when they went it was a good idea to bring another "puppy" home as soon as mourning for our last friend ended. It always worked.

I today have "Fluffy" 13 pounds of unconditional love. When she hears the keys to my truck rattle she is at the door. Has her own seat in the truck so she can see down the road. She never leaves my side and yes sleeps with us every night. For Judy and I these last few years have been difficult, my daughter ever so wise got Fluffy for us on my birthday 3 years ago. It has helped us tremendously.

My daughter also has cats (not my favorite animals) one of them "Marcy" has recently disappeared. She is a somewhat wild stray that my daughter befriended several years ago. It seems she decided to take on some Coyotes (we have them around here). A neighbour told my daughter she saw Marcy fighting three of them. They were too much for her and they killed her. My grandaughter loved that cat and she is also having a tough time coping. Here is the good side, Marcy had kittens a while back, she was a real tramp we do not know who the father was and she was supposed to be spayed. Any way she left her daughter "Nickel" who is trying to take Marcy's place.

They are wonderful and I know they are in Heaven waiting for us. I saw a wonderful painting of Jesus onetime. At his feet were a bunch of little children, they all had different animals in their arms or nearby. The title under the painting was "This is Heaven".
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    Sorry to hear that.

That's a tough thing to go through. I worked for a vet for 3.5 years & one of the benefits was bringing my dog to work with me. Many years later, she had to be put down. Doc & I spent the last few minutes with her & we both shed tears. First time I'd ever seen him cry when administering the sedative.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Alan R. Mercurio
    Alan R. Mercurio Member Posts: 588
    Options

Scott, Please accept my sincere condolences. I have not had a dog since I was a little boy and the one I had then was a little French poodle. I still think of him to this day.

You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Respectfully,
    Alan R. Mercurio
  • Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    Ah Shoot Scott

Ya got me misting up remembering our first baby, Zack. I remember taking him for an ice cream cone after hs got the highest grade in his dog obedience class. He ate the scoop off in one bite and closed his eyes in brain freeze response. He was the kids pillow in front of the TV when they were small. (Black Lab, ample cushioning) He passed 7 years ago. I held his head as they gave him his relief and told him what a good boy he was. He sighed and went to his peace glad to know it. We now keep 2 dogs. The house is more of a home with dogs providing the heart (and the messes, bad dog!:) You have my sincere sympathies. WW

• molly
    molly Member Posts: 43
    Options
    I too have felt this pain

So sorry to read this post. I'm sobbing as I type. I was in your position 4 yrs ago with my "baby". We live in the "sticks" but still made the commute to Angell, as a last hope, what a wonderful hospital. If only people hospitals were as caring. Long story short, we lost our baby to bone cancer. Just recently we learned our other "baby" is afflicted with the same cancer. Just 4 yrs old. It's killing us. Bone cancer is evidently running rampant in the Rotti breed. This may not ease your pain, but to know there are other people out there, like you, who care about their pups as much as we do is a comfort to me. I'd love to see a picture Ruby if you ever get a chance to post.
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,705
    Options
    thoughts

one of the tougher things you do in life!!
    you mentioned a hunt club, any chance your pup came from westport ct? best wishes neil
    known to beat dead horses
  • Jim S
    Jim S Member Posts: 82
    Options
    Tough thing

to go through any day of the year.

I know because we had to have our cat put down last june and after 17 1/2 years together it was NOT easy.

My sympathy goes out to you and your family.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Thanks to all of you

Your responses have helped.

It is comforting to know there are others who feel as strongly about thier pets as we do.

After a couple of days it is getting easier for me. My wife is still having a hard time.

I swear we still here her in the house.

With two small boys I know we will not be with out another dog for to long.

Thanks again to all of you.

Scott

• Bill Wright_2
    Bill Wright_2 Member Posts: 65
    Options

Thanks for sharing with us Scott.

I'm sorry for your loss ... doesn't make it any easier or better, but it helps to know that others understand what you are feeling.

Bill W.
  • PJO
    PJO Member Posts: 140
    Options
    Scott, I was lucky

My dog Rudy (I looked twice when you wrote "Ruby") had been with us from day one...we had his mother and raised a litter. He was an 85 lb yellow lab, not the smartest in the world just the most loyal.

He never chewed a single item that wasn't food-based, never laid anywhere except the floor (management rules), and never even LOOKED at any member of our family in a mean way. He put up with any and all beatings from our three little ones as each grew from newborn through the first few years...with hanging out by the high chair as reward :-)

He defended our home like no other...biting a stranger who walked into my garage while my kids where there, chased away a 150 lb Rottie that wandered into my three year old's path (came back with his chest all puffed out - I swear there was an "S" imprinted there!), and only barked when he meant business.

He would have starved if he had to hunt for a living (unlike his mother), but he (as others mentioned) was the family room floor pillow for all that time, and he did duty as a horse and sled-puller as well.

I, too am getting filled-up as I write this.

He had 11 good years until this August we found a lump on his neck, after his appetite was nearly gone. It grew to the size of a softball in two weeks. He was down to 55 pounds two weeks later. On the third trip to the vet, I was ready to say goodbye due to this aggressive cancer...he wouldn't even walk around with me as tears came to my eyes right in front of my kids. The vet - who I've known since I was in high school with our many dogs over the years - kept him as we went away on vacation without him (I told him it was his call on putting him to sleep)...when I returned I was shocked to see Rudy looking half his age and eating again! Dr. Tierney wouldn't tell me exactly what he did - "just good ol' talking and a little luck" - but I was eternally grateful.

He lived until September 26th, when he walked out into the back yard during a rain storm and laid down. His mother did the same thing the fourth week of September eight years earlier. I am so glad he died on his own terms, and got to enjoy four weeks of pretty good health.

We have another female, and will breed her in two years to start the whole thing over again.

"May I always be the person my dog thinks I am...." (Author unknown)

Take Care, PJO
  • seabee570
    seabee570 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    family member

thoughts and prayer for your loss..just got a 2nd cat(stray),took him to the vet and found out he has FIV..similar to HIV..we were told he could infect our other cat.so we took him to the only shelter that does not put them to sleep..after 3 days went and got him back..he is doing well..both my wife and i cried for the 2 days he was gone.
This discussion has been closed.