Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Advertising by manufacturers

Mark Hunt
Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,908
I have a question for the manufacturers that monitor this site.

Why have I NEVER seen an ad in anything other than a trade magazine regarding your products?

A company I was with a few years ago spent 20k on a radiant heating commercial (we did receive some compensation from the manufacturer) and the commercial more than paid for itself within 2 months!

I have never been able to understand why you folks put all that money into the trade mags.

Kinda' preaching to the choir at that point.

I bet that the first company to do so will win more business than they ever imagined.

Anyone want to respond?

Mark H

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=238&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,577
    I'm looking at

Old-House Journal. There's a full-page ad for Wirsbo. It's page four. Nice copy.

Page six is a full-color, full-page ad for Mitsubish Electric HVAC.

Unico has a full-page ad on page 23.

Bosch AquaStar has a third-page ad on page 96.

This Old House has a lot of wet-heat ads and I've seen them as well in other consumer magazines.

Retired and loving it.
  • Magazines

Good House Keeping, Ladies Home Journal, an Old Newsweek just to mention a few/ Adds for Lennox, Carrier, Trane and Honeywell. Not every month but they are there from time to time. Those adds by the way are not cheap. I also see TV adds for a lot of different HVAC equipment.
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,245
    Brand name

HVACR manufacturers spend more advertising in trade pubs because survey after survey shows that consumers don't know an Amana from a Janitrol and really don't care. They prefer to deal with a reputable contractor who services the product, be it low-end or high-end. I think manufacturers have tried advertising to consumers but the impact has been slight, if anything. As long as it does what is supposed to do -- cool in the summer and heat in the winter -- it can have any brand name. Manufacturers depend on their close relationships with wholesalers and dealers to perpetuate a good brand reputation.
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Check out Smart Home Owner Mag

Jan/Feb 2003 edition is loaded with radiant/hydronic ads geared to the homeowner.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    You'd be suprised

Spend a few hours at a Barnes and Nobel magazine section sometimes. I have seen Wirsbo and Watts Radiant ads in dozens of mags. Generally, Homebuilding and remodeling , floor covering, tile, concrete homes, log builders, Better Homes etc. type of mags.

I always am on the lookout for unique ad placement. I think the airline mags would be a good place for radiant companies to place ads. Lots of captive audiences #'s there.

Expensive advertising. The bigger name mags can fetch 15 grand or more for a one time ad.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Art Pittaway_2
    Art Pittaway_2 Member Posts: 80
    % of total market

share makes a difference. To us, hydronics seems huge but it's only small percentage compared to the F/A market. Then the manufacturers are hit with "your 20 cents high...I'll buy the other guy". Something has to give. Just like training for free. How long do you think B&G will run the Little Red School House if everyone buys brand G. Ask the rep of Products you buy (and support) for help paying for ad's or home shows. You probably will get some help. But if you bought $700 worth of their products don't expect $700 worth of ad's. I know, I've worked 3 day home shows to benefit local contractors. National magazines won't bring a customer to your door as quick as you putting together a good, well thought out ad campaign. Not a flyer at the market. Best wishes on your 2003 ad campaign.
    Art.

This discussion has been closed.