Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

chimmney liner

Options
can't. I just won't get up on a rooftop to do it.Z flex does a nice job.. more work than its worth... kpc

Comments

• nick z.
    nick z. Member Posts: 157
    Options
    chimmney liner

Do any of you guys install your own chimmney liners? I got a job that needs one. Just seems like something we ought to be able to do. Thanks , Nick
  • MIKE6
    MIKE6 Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Liners

Its like any thing else some are easy some are hard.A couple can't be relined.Here are some of the problems I came across,Nails inside of chimney,excess mortar,bricks protruding into flue,offsets,offsets and offsets;inside demensions not the same at the top,middle and bottom;install liner and now fireplace doesn't work,install liner and only to find unit next door shared a common chimney,row house of course all most killed those people.I was called into investigate that one.Liner gets stuck in chimney.Liner breaks while installing.Aluminum is for 82% eff and under gas only;0ver82% is stainless steel,oil is always stainless steel.Job is billed at 2 hours and takes all day.
  • Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    If it's

a straight shot down it's really quite simple. If there are offsets it's harder. There can also be obstructions. I take a look by dropping a droplight down and looking. If it is too much of a challenge I call a chimney company. They are quite expensive around here but it can sometimes get to be a profit eater if you try to do it yourself and spend too much time and energy trying to get the liner through. (which is why the chimney companys charge so much. You don't know how hard it will be until you get into it, so they charge high in case it's hard and if it's not they make a great profit.)

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Seen it

Done it.

Lost a day pay over it.

Agree with all you guys have said.

I hire a Chimney Co.

Scott " Santa only once a year " Milne

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.