Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

too much air in hot water system

Options
marcmm
marcmm Member Posts: 3
yes, but I probably will not get the photo on until tomorrow

Comments

• marcmm
    Options
    air in hot water system

I have a 105 year old house that has a 2 pipe hot water system with a big old pig of a boiler from the 1930's (probably). it was converted from a gravity fed system to a pump system, possibly at that time. the system seemed to work fine, but last year I came home from work one cold january day and found that the expansion tank had broken loose, and fallen from the ceiling ( don't know how that copper strapping tape and 1" roofing nails held a 35 gallon tank all those years). It broke the fresh water supply inlet pipe off of the tank, and the pipe that went into the top rear of the boiler also. The company I hired to fix it did not reattach a supply to the tank as before, and the only connection to the tank is from the top rear of the boiler. Since then I have had problems with air in the two tallest radiators of my top floor, they rarely have any heat coming out of them, and I bleed them constantly, I drained the expansion tank, but it is my understanding that the tank is supposed to be refilled to about 1/2 full. is this refilling necessary in a non gravity system? also, the fresh water supply is piped to the pressure reducer but they capped off the feed that came off the pipe before the reducer and went to the expansion tank. I hope I've descibed this problem adequately, and can try to answer any questions that wolud clarify the issue

thanks; Marc
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    Sounds solve-able!

Can you take a photo of that ex tank connections and post it ?
  • marcmm
    Options
    photos attached

This discussion has been closed.