Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

All I want for Chistmas is......

Options
Electricity has been off for days! Got down to 45 degrees F - IN THE HOUSE! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Mike finally knows how un-radiantly heated tile floors feel(G). "Dad, that's the first time the floors have been cold in our house!"

It's been darn interesting. Trees snapping under the heavy snow, an 80 footer fell across the road just after we'd driven past!

We camped in front of the fireplace.

I shoulda asked for insulated long-johns!

Hope you all had a great holiday.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=98&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• JimGPE_3
    JimGPE_3 Member Posts: 240
    Options
    Why?

Why does 45F always feel colder when it is an inside temperature than when it is an outside temperature?

Good luck getting your life back!
  • Bob W._2
    Bob W._2 Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Power outages....

these El Nino winters lead me to believe that there will be more ice storms and thus more power outages in areas that normally have colder winters. Good reason to think about how to keep power to the heating system.
  • C'mon Dave

No fuel cell on the side of the house yet ?
  • Online Sheriff \"Murph\"
    Options
    thinkin.......

about that generator yet?/
  • Noel Kelly
    Noel Kelly Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Cogen anyone?

• Brian (Tankless) Wood
    Options
    Need a generator ?

Sorry to hear of your plight Dave. We lost power for seven days during the ice storm here, three winters ago, so I DO know how you feel.

I have access to some used diesel generators. 12 wire, 15kw 120/240 that I can get to you pretty quick. Real good prices too.

They include, battery, alternator, new regulator, fuel tank, main breaker, and are skid-mounted. We can supply the Auto-start relays and transfer switches too. Or you can manually start and transfer power at your main panel.

Please let me know if I can help, Dave or anyone.

Brian in Louisiana.
    (337) 430 4649
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    Sounds

velly interstink! Truth be told, I did wire in a generator yesterday. Mike & I tackled that late in the day. He's smart as a whip & was fascinated by the wiring details. "How'd you know how to do that Dad?" By working in the trades son. Pure & simple logic, or so it seems to me. Two hots, one neutral and one ground - it doesn't get much more logical than that. Add up the watts plus peak power demands & make sure you won't overload the generator or the wire's capacity.

Yes, I did disconnect from the grid prior to starting! Don't want to hurt the hard working line(wo)men who have been busting their humps & working around the clock. They have been outstanding! Today's paper featured some whiner who was complaining about these hard working folks. Seems he had to shovel his driveway by hand because his snowblower is an electric model - gimme a break! Then he went on about having to melt snow to flush the toilets because they were gross. Well, cry me a river of tears(G). Meanwhile, the rest of us were helping to shovel each other out, enjoying the opportunity to converse with neighbors & helping strangers get un-stuck. The heavy cover of snow was fiercly beautiful & the snapping limbs/trees added a sense of danger. All in all, it's a Christmas not soon to be forgotten.

We have a sub panel in the garage for our two condensing units (60 amp capacity wiring) and three ground-fault circuits for outdoor recepticals. Bugged onto the main lugs to back-feed the main panel & we restored power to the house via that sub-panel.

Why? I mean, after all - we're Scouts & used to winter camping (well, not inside the house!) so - why the urge to power up the home?

Mike had his wisdom teeth extracted today & I couldn't see him lounging in 45 degree indoor weather. Both he and the home are just fine. He looks a bit like a chipmonk though(G).

Tell me more about the oil-fired units.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Had a friend ....

Who was working on a co-gen system back in the mid-eighties . Guess the price of fuel got to be not so much a factor . I do remeber that they were used in a lot of out-posts and buildings that couldn't readily get services .

Now for the Mind Crank, see if I got this right . The power plants were standard G.M. gasoline engines (L.P. option I believe), with a generater set . The kicker was that the hot water used for cooling the engine, was thermostatically controlled and fed to either a radiator for heat dissapation , or circulated through the house for heat . Standard unit was the 2.(something) litre 4 cylinder and the optional unit came with a 2.8 V-6 .

I'll have to track him down and find out what happened . My guess is that someone bought the concept lock, stock and barrell for a good chunk , then buried it .Whatever this guy touched turned to gold . (built race engines and MADE money at it !)
    Chris
This discussion has been closed.