Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I can hear the air escaping from radiator vents...

Options
Drod
Drod Member Posts: 59
does that mean I need larger vents on those radiators? It seems to me that I read that somewhere... By the way, my main vents are working fine---I have three of the smaller Gorton main vents on each of my two mains.

Comments

• Vent Valves

It is a good thing you hear the air leaving the vents.

If the air is leaving the vents is to loud try installing larger Gorton vent valves in the basement.

Gorton # 1 vent valves are large volume vent valves. The can be installed on 3/4" pipe or 1/2" Pipe. If you have 1/4" tappings on the steam main the Gorton D valve has the same capacity as a Gorton # 1.

Some people recommend the Gorton # 2 Vent Valve. This bugger is a real large volume release vent, it is also very large in size and might not fit in the space available.

You can use multiple Ds and Gorton #1 off a T set up to accomplish faster venting.

The more air vented in the basement the less air a radiator valve has to deal with at the radiator.

Some times to quiet down the vent valves at the radiator you may have to install a lartger vent valve. Gortons come in sized 5,6, C and D for radiator valves.

Do the basement first before you do the rads.

Additionally, you might have to lower the steam pressure a bit.

Most 1 pipe system operate well at 1 1/2 PSIG cut out and a 1 PSIG cut in.

To advise you less genericlly I would need more info on the system operation.

Jake
This discussion has been closed.