Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco zone valve - not sure what's happening

Options
Joel_6
Joel_6 Member Posts: 2
2 months ago I completely replaced my heating system (everything but the radiators). I installed 3 zones using Taco ESP zone valves, and temporarily put them all on the same thermostat. Temporarily has turned into 2 months and as of yesterday I started having a problem.

The problems is as follows: I woke up yesterday morning and one zone was not heating. This didn't make alot of sense as the zones are all wired together to the same thermostat. But sure enough, the first valve in the series of valves I have wired together was not on. The green indicator light was on, but the valve didn't open. I thought this strange, because as I mentioned, the two valves wired past this one in the circuit were functioning normally. The wires are actually are actually connected through the posts in the valve, so it's not as if I had some connection problem.

So, thinking it was a faulty valve motor unit, I replaced it with an extra that I had for a planned expansion. Everything worked fine for the rest of the day. I woke up this morning to the same problem. The replaced valve motor unit is not functioning..it's getting power, green light, but not opening. The other two continue to work normally.
Any ideas?

Joel

Comments

• frank s
    frank s Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Are you......

Using a seperate transformer for the zone valves??? Check the voltage at each valve.

Frank
  • Joel_6
    Joel_6 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    yes

I am using a seperate transformer for the valves, and I plan on checking voltage when I get home. The thing that confuses me is that it worked fine all day yesterday, and then after a night of lower use, it acted up again...

It's a honeywell thermostat...the model name escapes me at the moment...$49 at home depot
  • Glenn Harrison
    Glenn Harrison Member Posts: 405
    Options
    Taco having problems with ESP valves.

Taco has been having problems with the ESP valves. Check the date codes on the valves you have. I believe that any valves that were made before 04-02 have been identified as problematic by Taco, and should be replaced (just the powerheads). I have been ahaving problems with a couple of customers with ESP valves my self. They all have had the power heads replaced. The original powerheads were sticking closed. The new ones with date codes of 07-02 have been failing in the open position. It has been sugested to use the resistors that come with the valves when using electronic t-stats. I have since added the resistors to the current powerheads and am waiting to see if any of them continue to fail. My suggestion would be to replace all the powerheads, and install the resistors that come with them. This way you have the latest powerheads and you will reduce and possibly elimainate the posibility of any problems by installing the resistors.

If you want more info, click on the "search" tab above and enter Taco ESP. This will bring up previous posts on ESP valves.

Hope this is helpfull.

Glenn Harrison Residential Service Tech

Althoff Industries Inc. Mechanical and Electrical Contractors

Crystal Lake, Illinois
This discussion has been closed.