Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressuretrol with no Pigtail

Options
Bobby D
Bobby D Member Posts: 2
My old Dunkirk boiler with a one pipe system has no pigtail on the pressuretrol.

Should I add one ? the pipe connecting the pressuretrol is a 3" brass nipple straight into the control off the top of the boiler.

I am getting a lot of short cycling with the burner and some bouncing of the water line in the sight glass.

Any thoughts ?

And a big thanks to Dan and his great web site, which has provided me with tons of information on one pipe systems.

Happy holidays to all.

Comments

• MIKE6
    MIKE6 Member Posts: 102
    Options
    p ig tail

Its better to have a pigtail keeps dirt out of the control. What type of fuel? What type of thermostat? Kill the power and take the pressure trol pipe apart and clean or replace with pig tail.This may correct the short cycle.If the water is dirty it may short cycle,add a boiler cleaner.
  • Bobby D
    Bobby D Member Posts: 2
    Options

Heating oil is the fuel type.

The thermostat is a programmable Lux Model TX 500.

Dan feels that a vaporstat is a better choice for steam systems any thoughts on this.
  • Tony Conner
    Tony Conner Member Posts: 549
    Options
    A Pigtail...

...keeps steam from reaching the control or pressure gauge. The steam condenses in the loop, and forms a water seal. A gauge or pressurertol will certainly work without a pigtail under it, but it won't last very long. Maybe a couple of weeks in continuous steam service.
This discussion has been closed.