Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Eliminating line voltage 'stats

Options
I've got a hot water system with three zones. Each zone has its own circulator, and control is achieved with line-voltage thermostats switching the circulators.

I want to replace the old thermostats, and I plan to move to 24V in the process. I could rig together a transformer and a few relays using parts I have lying around in about an hour, but I'd rather follow standards that the industry would smile upon.

I see that Honeywell and Taco have some relay-transformer packages available. The question is, which one of these would do what I need without being overkill?

Thanks for your help, this is a wonderful forum!

Mark

Comments

• EricR_2
    EricR_2 Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Look at Taco

They have Zone circulators that have a transformer and relay built into them along with flow checks. i use them all the time and find them an exceptional value. Good luck
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Try the ....

Taco 503 . You'll be able to switch all your circs. and switch the t-stats to 24V . If you need priority , you can get that too ! Very simple to use .

Please refer to the "find a contractor" bar on the side and get it done right . This is not a job to undertake for a homeowner . Merry Christmas , Chris.
  • superMARKet
    superMARKet Member Posts: 87
    Options

> Please refer to the "find a contractor" bar on the side
    > and get it done right . This is not a job to undertake for
    > a homeowner . Merry Christmas , Chris.

Chris, thanks for the advice. The reason I asked here is because I want to "do it right." But I'm not the average homeowner or maintenance guy - I know what I can handle, and I never bite off more than I can chew. In fact, HVAC technicians (and plumbers and electricians and phone and cable techs and ...) always commend me on my professional installations. I sympathize with the "damn homeowner" and "damn handyman" opinions (and even share them, I've seen many a screwed up job) but assure you that nobody will be making any service calls to my home to swap any burnt-out circulators.

I'll keep my eye out for the SR503. Thanks again, and merry Christmas!

Mark
  • Frank_3
    Frank_3 Member Posts: 112
    Options

I did this same thing a few years ago and used the Taco 504, bought from that big orange store that's open 7 days a week, but who's name is not appreciated here at times.

Very trivial to install. By me, a "classic example of an HO with too much time on his hands".
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Mark....

No offence , I'm just covering my @&& . I am but a simple tech, and want to keep it this way .

Giving out the "tricks of our fine trade" isn't why I made the suggestion . I will not doubt your abilities , but WILL cover my butt . (been there ....done that )
    Chris
  • superMARKet
    superMARKet Member Posts: 87
    Options

> No offence , I'm just covering my @&& .

[...]

> (been there

> ....done that ) Chris

Understood - haven't we all? Thanks again for the pointer to the 503. I look forward to replacing these 'stats - two of them could pass for 40 years, easily.

Merry to all!

Mark
  • Roger Litman
    Roger Litman Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Using 24 volt

I would suggest installing three new 24 volt thermostats and a three zone relay and using honeywell or erie zone valves which do not use a heat motor which has a bellows that flexs many many times a year. Look at all types and understand how they operate, then make your decision.The line voltage thermostats are no where as sensitive as the 24 volt ones and the 24 volt tsts are much easier to wire.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.