Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Expansion Tank for cold water line

Options
Dave_23
Dave_23 Member Posts: 190
Folks,
I know this is a heating site, but will someone recommend an expansion tank that will work on my cold water line AND hot water line?

I have above average water pressure in my home. When the water is shut off (washing machine, dishwasher, etc., BANG! Note: The air columns at the various locations aren't sufficient.

Thanks, Dave

Comments

• chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    Options
    Amtrol

makes a product, called a hammer arrestor. It is a small expansion tank, about the size of a softball. The pressure in the tank must be adjusted so it matches the pressure in your home. Some other things to check for water hammer. Are pipes in the basement secure? You can use a resinor hook or a clip to make things a little tighter. If the pipes dont move, there is less chance of hammer. Check for proper operation of all self closing valves, usually on the toilets. Sometimes on the washing machine, or dishwasher.

You can try to isolated, to see if it only happens with certian fixtures. Or at one end of the house, and not the other. Just a few suggestions.

You could also try the find a contractor feature, some people there do plumbing as well as heating.

Hope this helps

Chuck Shaw

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Options
    It has been

proven that air chambers (small pipe risers with caps at various fixtures) do not work more than a day or two before filling with water and becoming useless.

Chuck offers an excellent solution. You could also install a PRV at the main to decrease the pressure to all the fixtures in the house. Anything over 50 psi is extreme for domestic use and can lead to hydraulic shock and water hammer at precisely the areas you are experiencing it.

The other major cause of water hammer is high velocity which comes about because of high pressure and small piping. If you have access to the main piping lines in the basement, by increasing the mains will also decrease the chance for shock at various fixtures.
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    soiux chief...

makes a water hammer arrestor that screws right on to the washer hoses w/o cutting pipes. What pressure is your house at? kpc
This discussion has been closed.