Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

buffer tanks

Options
ed wallace
ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
i need info on the best buffer tank to use with a buderus boiler which will be used with a combination of rads and in floor radiant thank you
still learning
ed wallace
and to all the people on the wall merry christmas

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=256&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    With that boiler

I'm not sure you would need a buffer. Although I am a fan of buffer tanks on multi zoned small load systems regardless of the boiler volume and mass.

HTP make a very nice 20 gallon. Four 1-1/2" tappings, well for an aquastat, well insulated and nicely jacketed. The top vent tapping makes the tank a nice air purger also, giving you a wide spot in the road. I'd like to see HTP offer a 50 gallon version.

Basically any tank could work. The more insulation the better, of course. I have used electric water heaters also. Inexpensive, available in a wide range of capacity and dimensions. The weak link being the small tappings. I have used the two element taps for piping, still limited to two 1" connections, however.

I believe Crown (The MegaStore people) will build just about any tank you want, with your choice of connections. I think Todd in Colorado just used some 120 gallon tanks, dual coil, for a radiant/solar storage array that Crown built.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Dana Zaichkin
    Dana Zaichkin Member Posts: 29
    Options
    SS ultra

Hi HR,
    It looks like when you use the Ultra for a buffer, you are capping off the Hx coil and using the tank volume for the mass - correct?

I'm leaning toward the Phase III / Triangle tube units for combo buffer and DHW - the outer tank in their 30 gal units holds 5-9 gal of boiler water, incorporates an air vent, has low friction loss and (my reasoning) provides a "virtual" buffer with the stored DHW. My assumption is that the boiler can tolerate the lower return temps when the DHW is in production.

Best Regards

DZ
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Close, Dana

actually this is a blank tank, no coils inside. This one will use the two left connections for the boiler S&R. The two right connections will feed a Danfoss ZCP with a mix valve and 5- zones built into it. I will post pictures when I finish.

In the aquastat port will go a Heatimer setpoint control set to 140- 180 degrees. This control is what will call the boiler. So a deep 40 degree delta t on the boiler, for good, long, hot run cycles. Deep delta t's allow for smaller pipe sizing also. I may include a post purge relay to run the boiler pump 5 minutes or so, after the burner shuts down, to pull all the heat from the boiler and stuff it into the buffer since it is much better insulated than the boiler :) I need to look into that Taco post purge module for their relays, for this application.

The Phase lll is a pretty good choice. Not a lot of buffer capacity and a little tricky to pipe with only two outer tank connections. The HTP ultra is slick in that respect. Still, the Phase lll is better than no buffer at all, and it doubles as a dhw sourse. My Weil GV at home is piped to a Phase lll that way. Have fun with your project.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Online Sheriff \"Murph\"
    Options
    the taco......

plug in module for post purge is inexpensive at 25-30$ and the time can be dialed in

hope this helps

Murph' (SOS)
  • EDDIE GRIERSON_2
    EDDIE GRIERSON_2 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Buffer

There is a company called ERGOMAX that has a high capacity buffer and provides domestic. Also I think Dunkirk makes a similar model. (ARTISIAN) I haven't used either one of these myself. I have used Phase III, but not in a buffer application. HAPPY HOLIDAYS
  • Dana Zaichkin_2
    Dana Zaichkin_2 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Thanks HR

For the education...

I hadn't noticed the "tank only" product in HTPs line-up previously.

Happy Holidays

DZ
This discussion has been closed.