Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Stolen tools - DF

Options
an old timer at a roofing co. i used to work for painted all their motors black to deter theives. and it worked 1 day a new motor came in, we didn't paint it and it was gone that night. this has worked well on my big tools, generators- space heaters, and it also works on copper in high crime neighborhoods. bob
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• Dan Foley1
    Dan Foley1 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Tools

I just got a phone call this morning from one of my techs. His truck was broken into and all the hand and power tools were stolen sometime last night: wrenches, screwdrivers, sheetmetal tools, right angle drill, sawzall, cordless drills, Hilti gun, etc., etc., etc.

We had a truck ripped off earlier this year while doing a job in downtown D.C. While not happy, I wasn't surprised given the neighborhood. This happened in a suburban Virginia neighborhood with the truck parked in front of his house. What is going on!!!!!!

Happy Holidays!
    -DF
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I feel your pain.

So far, in 10 years, I've been ripped off twice. First time someone(s) broke into my shop and cleaned out my drill selection. The second time is when we were unloading my truck for a home show and I left it unlocked between trips to the truck. Once again, I lost all of my drills. I never seem to keep my tools long enough to wear them out! ;-)

Warm Regards,

hb

"Expert in Silent Warmth"™

888-UB-COMFY

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Alaska Joe
    Alaska Joe Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Ouch!

Was working on a large project last year this time. On Christmas eve a fool broke into the project site and loaded his truck full of my tools. His greed was his downfall, his now overloaded truck got stuck in the driveway. There he was, shovelling away when the police pulled up to help! Yes, there is a Santa Claus! True story
  • Tony Conner
    Tony Conner Member Posts: 549
    Options
    Keep A Close Eye...

...on the replacement tools. The thieves'll know that in a week or so, all the NEW stuff will have shown up.
  • chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    Options
    I got hit last June

My shop got broken into. I am still at a loss to figure out what kind of person did it. They took tools that were pretty much just for the plumbing/heating trade. Ridgid 600, Bacharach kit, chop saw (abrasive blade), ProPex tool, a sawzall and right angle drill, plus some hand tools. Dont know if it was someone who knew the trade or, some kids. Every thing they took was in a case, or had a handle as part of the tool. Grand total for replacement was about $3300. Insurance was kind enough to give me $2400, and then they increased my rates because I had my shop in a "high risk" area.

Chuck Shaw

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    That stings

sorry to hear. Tell me you were well insured :)

hot rod

• tim from Reed Wright
    Options
    ripoffs

5 yrs or so ago one of my Techs had his truck stolen out front of his house, the truck showed up about 20 miles away the next day, all tools gone, all parts gone? hw 4795 flame relays and 890fs. Analyzer etc etc, damn it made me mad.
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    It hurts

to have that done.

Stole a truck of ours, went on a driving rampage into MD & abandoned the now emtied of tools truck in a field. It was beyond salvaging.

Tools stolen on no less than a dozen occasions in the past 20 years.

Broken windows, missing tools, broken dreams. Extra insurance, which we don't use for minor theft due to rate increases.

Broke out my back window - took all of the copper - left power tools laying in plain sight. $300.00 for a new back window & they returned a few days later for the freon. Full bottle of R-12 (unopened), almost full R-134A & mostly full R-22.

Kicked in the shop door & alarm went off - they grabbed some sump pumps stacked by the door.

Tis the season to be giving - even if we don't willingly go along with the program!

I feel your pain.

• Dan Foley1
    Dan Foley1 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Thanks....

... for the comments and suggestions. I just ordered about $3k in new tools today and some heavy duty tamper proof locks. I guess it is kind of like closing the barn doors after the cows are out but hopefully it will prevent future theft. Insurance will cover $2,500.00 Happy Holidays! -DF
  • Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Options
    This doesn't

compare to the stories here but it does show how brazen some people are.

I was on the first floor of a condo project cutting holes for the plumbing stacks and it was necessary to go to the basement to check the allignments. The basement was only accessible by going outside and around the building. After going down, checking and then returning up stairs, the sawsall was gone. It took two minutes top and there was no-one in sight while I was working.

Here's hoping that the thieves need these things more than us and in the end they get what they deserve.
  • Floyd
    Floyd Member Posts: 429
    Options
    You guys really....

make me so much more thankful that I live and work where I do....
    I feel really bad for you's, that you have to be on guard and on edge so much!!!!
    I really can't relate or image what you go through!!!!
    I NEVER lock my truck... I can let condensers sit on the job site ...not hooked up,
    tools can be left on the job site, my ladders on my truck have no locks on them,
    on a cold winter morning I can get gas and run into the mini mart to pay and get a
    coffee with my truck running and unlocked outside.

I guess I live in another world.... I'll take mine over yours ANY day!!!!
    Don't want it to change, although, I know that it eventually will!!!!

It's really ashame that people can no longer be trustworthy and trusted!!!!

Floyd
  • Rick Kelly
    Rick Kelly Member Posts: 40
    Options
    One more story...

While you're replacing those tools, buy one that you don't have. For under twenty bucks they sell electric engraving pens that will engrave on the hardest metals or on soft plastic. Use your own strategy about where to mark them. If your mark is prominent, it might invite removal or overwriting. I prefer a less noticable location using the last four numbers of my SS#.

Years ago when I was an auto mechanic, some lads broke into my shop and cleaned me out of a couple of rolling tool chests filled to the brim with the means of my livelihood. A couple of days later I was at an auto parts store when I was approached by a guy offering to sell some mechanic tools. As soon as I saw them I recognized my own tools. I told the guy to load whatever he had in my truck and I'd take the lot. Once that was done I told him thanks for loading "my" tools and that I was taking them unless he thought he had what it took to stop me. This guy was smart. He took my plate number, reported me to the police, and I was arrested in less than an hour at my shop, and dragged out in cuffs. I tried to explain the situation but no one was in the mood for listening. I was charged with grand larceny, arraigned, made bail, and went all the way to trial without hiring a lawyer. During the trial I let everyone talk and talk and talk. When the prosecutor was just about wrapping up his case, I put a big damper on the whole thing when I went up to the evidence table and asked one question. How was I able to get my SS# on all these tools when this honest man had the police on my door so quickly? And how was I able to show receipts for most of these tools (bought on a SNAP-ON account)? And why did I have to go all the way to trial before being able to present my evidence? Of course the whole matter was dropped. The honest man got to keep the rest of my tools, I never received a sorry from anyone involved. So losing the tools doesn't have to be the worst thing that can happen.

I'm with you Floyd, Where I live now I haven't locked my door in over twenty years. More money can be made elsewhere depending on what's more important.
  • Floyd
    Options
    Your right....

I can't get the top dollar that alot of guys get... heck the people here can't spend 1/25 of their
    yearly income for a hot water heater!!!!
    But.... I never hardly hear a siren and if it is it probably a neighbor that I know who's chimney
    caught fire.... I can drive for miles sometimes and the only thing I see are mountain cows..(deer)

I do 90% of my business on a hand shake and get stung very seldom....... even get paid cold hard cash
    for some of my work!!!! Milk or coffee and cookies are normal...... those little old ladies on the hill would be offended if I would turn them down.....and a sandwich at lunch time is just plain "common courtesy"!!!!!

Would love to take some of you guy's for a ride for a day to meet my "friends" that I work for everyday!!!
    They still know what "loyalty" is and as long as I treat them with respect and in a right way they will always
    be there for me.....

I wish that I could say that it will always be this way.......

I know different....................and that makes me very sad!!!!!!

Floyd
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Gee Andy..

Sounds like you live in Mayberry, do you cut hair on the side :).

Floyd you live in a place that America used to be and it sounds great. MY town is allmost there but not quite. You're right, you could go some where ele and make more money, but you would loose that wonderfull life.

Merry Christmas Floyd and give my best to all your nieghbors.

Scott

• Floyd
    Options
    Don't cut hair...

but the Barber in town does work second shift at the Ward Foundry that makes the
    last of the American made black iron fittings!!!!

I'm afraid, that too, will become a thing of the past in the near future!!!

Merry Chirstmas and A Happy New Year to all!!!!

Floyd
  • Bryan_16
    Bryan_16 Member Posts: 262
    Options
    theives

I lived in that world until 18 months ago. Had been in business for 6 years and never locked my truck a single time. Then on the 3rd of July somebody helped themselves to $3000 worth of hand- and power tools. I can see stealing drills and saws, they have a use anywhere, but the SOB stole my tool pouch with little stuff in it. Pouch was wore out, but inherited it from my older brother when he was killed. Never get out without locking it now. BTW, my town population is 850.
  • kevin_5
    kevin_5 Member Posts: 308
    Options
    Payday is someday

That's what my pastor's wife says. Funny thing is most of us want justice for the other guy and mercy for ourselves.
    Maybe the ten commandments aint such a bad recipe for getting along after all. Let's leave 'em posted. Surely the influence wouldn't be detrimental to our society.
    Sorry about all you guys who lost tools. I live in a rural area that is getting more and more "unMayberrylike". Farmers are losing ATV's etc... left and right. Even the local cemetary assn. had it's mower stolen from a shed on the grounds. A few nights later they came back for the tractor.Kevin
  • KevMcG
    KevMcG Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Supply and Demand

Fortunately it has been a while since we were hit. Have job boxes in the vans now. Although I just got a new Econoline 250 and am in the process of trying something different for security (damn job box is a pain ).
    I think anyone who buys stolen tools are a bigger A**Hole than the creep who steals them
  • billygoat22
    billygoat22 Member Posts: 124
    Options

I believe Contractor magazine had a article on theft. One of the companies interviewed painted all their tools pink to deter theives, which obviously worked. Others parked equipment in positions that made them more difficult to move onto trailers or to get at other more desirable machines. Perhaps those vehicle tracking systems being sold to track and direct techs can also be used to trace stolen trucks?
  • MIKE6
    MIKE6 Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Tools with feet

I was ripped off recently.They stole the easy to grab tools drills etc.BUT they also took the entire window and the rubber gasket,that alone cost me $400.00 plus a days work.I say it is all drug money.I'd like to know where the war on drugs is being fought.Another thing if someone steels anything that puts a tech out of work I'd like to see the judge hit him with more time.too bad not many of these guys are caught.A friend of mine had his van broken into once and the whole van taken twice.He now takes a chain that could tow the Queen Mary and wraps it around the oak tree at his house and the rear axle every night.I see some guys ride with a dog in the van.
  • Cosmo
    Cosmo Member Posts: 159
    Options
    Always at the worst time

Three years ago my old man's van was broken into at his house overnight. Which was weird because he is such a light sleeper. The theif broke the lock and opened the side door, grabbed the cased power tools, sawzall, hole hawg, etc. Approx 2700 bucks to replace. The funny thing is that I on many occasions forget to lock my utility body and so far no problem. I have thought of buying one of those "new york" locks I see on service trucks in big cities like philly. Isn't it funny how we all whenever we travel we never fail to notice what the work trucks look like? Any way, good luck finding replacements, and don't forget the tax deductions for buying the new tools......

Casmo
    Dependable P.H.C. Inc.
This discussion has been closed.