Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hemp.....where oh where is a supplier to go?

Options
Micheal
Micheal Member Posts: 1
I'm having a hell of a time finding a source to buy hemp from. My customers are asking for it, I want t supply it but I keep hitting dead ends! I've tried the web....but that was no help. The only thing I found there was pipes & wrapping papers or clothes!! Help!

Oh...I should mention, I'm in Toronto, Canada so a local source for me would be most helpful.

Thanks!

M

Comments

• Terry
    Terry Member Posts: 186
    Options
    application?

What application would hemp be used for on a heating system? (or dare I ask?)

Terry
  • Steve Eayrs
    Steve Eayrs Member Posts: 424
    Options
    I imagine you are talking about....

hemp fibers, or rope, like whats used like teflon tape on Veissmann boilers? If so you have Veissmann in your backyard. Look there.
    Steve
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Rope?

http://www.hemptwine.com/rope.html

Of course when Columbus' men collected hemp it was only for rope...and native americans only smoked fish in their peace pipes...

Private landscaping/gardening places often have hemp products in a variety of {legal} forms.

100-year-old hemp rope is still in fine shape forming the "caulking" around my basement windows.
  • Paul Pollets_2
    Paul Pollets_2 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Hemp vs. teflon

We've given up on hemp for metric thread sealing and have been using Kanga teflon tape(similar to gas fitting teflon) purchased from Blueline Supply in Jackson Hole WY. The tape is made in Australia and works every time. We wrap the metric threads with 7-8 turns, and use some Megabloc or teflon paste over the taped threads before assembling. Contact Chris Rorke at Blueline: (307) 733-3953.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Steve Eayrs
    Steve Eayrs Member Posts: 424
    Options
    Have you had problems....

with the hemp on metric threads? Its been working for me, but we do put some megaloc on it too, and it helps the hemp stick better, while you screw it.
    Steve
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    For sealing

Tough to seal joints we use a product called Leak Lock. Made by Highside chemicals. It's an alcohol based pipe dope basically with some extra binding agents in it, used commonly in refrigeration applications. We've had excellent results with it. Once it dries it's tough to get the fittings apart though.
  • leo g_28
    leo g_28 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    micheal

i just got a roll of hemp yarn at the local hemp store. they sell hemp clothes, perfume, oil, yarn, paper, etc......

leo g
  • Arthur
    Arthur Member Posts: 216
    Options
    Hemp

Hemp would have to be one of the oldest and the cheapest and still despite all these new fansy products around one of the best. Main thing with hemp is 1) It has to put on tight and wound on in the same direction to what you screw it together this is so the screwing in pulls it into the fitting.I usually hold the fitting in my left hand grip a little bit of the hemp with my thumb and wind the hemp on tight with my right hand then smooth the hemp around with the right thumb and fingers after you have finished (watch out for sharp threads on the fingers, ouch)Then put a bit of whiting compound or graphite on the lot and screw it together.
    2) On brass fittings you need to rough up the thread with a hacksaw blade so the hemp has some thing to grip on to. If you are using PTFE tape also pays to do the same too.
    A hemp joint can be backed of a little without a leak as the hemp expands with the water.I've seen damaged threads with threads missing sealed good as gold with hemp.
    Of course you cann't use it on oil or gas threads and it is a bit messy. But I wouldn't be without a roll in the van.
  • tombig
    tombig Member Posts: 291
    Options
    Leak Lock

We call leak lock the blue ****. Seems to falter in glycol applications. Also got some red ****. It's called W.O.G. Can't think who makes it but it has that unmistakable odor of permatex. Never heard of hemp twine as thread sealer. Maybe I used it as valve packing beforer teflon.
  • Terry_4
    Terry_4 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    I was at Viessmann in Waterloo

a few years ago and they had local contractor there installing a boiler (I think a Vitola, I'll have to dig out my pictures and look) up in the second floor display area and he was using hemp that he had apparently found locally. Also it seems he was using some kind of dark oil based liquid to coat it after wrapping the threads. Never did find out for sure what that was. But as Steve says, they are in your backyard, maybe a call to them would yield results. I don't belive we have a source for hemp in the States. The gov'ment probably thinks we would smoke it. LeakLock is great stuff but be careful, it jumps out of the can and gets on EVERYTHING!
    Terry
This discussion has been closed.