Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

blue ray burner

Options
ed wallace
ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
hi guys while cleaning out some old files came across an install manual for the blue ray oil burner does anyone want a copy of it can fax it to whoever wants a copy

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=256&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Sven
    Sven Member Posts: 34
    Options
    this would be good

for Alan Mercurio if he does not have a copy already. He will be incorporating the late John Gates "Just for Teks" web site into his. John's web site had a lot of older info available.

http://www.oiltechtalk.com
  • Patchogue Phil_4
    Options
    blue ray of death?

Wasn't that a boiler "system" that caused CO problems? What was the exact problem with these?

Phil
  • Alan R. Mercurio
    Alan R. Mercurio Member Posts: 588
    Options

October 27, 1987 Release # 87-066

CPSC Warns of Potential For Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Involving Blueray "BLUE FLAME" Furnaces And Boilers
    WASHINGTON, DC -- In voluntary cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Blueray Systems, Inc., of Schuylkill Haven, Pennsylvania, has initiated a program to alert oil heat service technicians, oil heat distributors and home owners of the importance of strict service and maintenance of the Blueray "blue flame" furnace or boiler. A total of nearly 21,000 of such furnaces and 14,500 boilers were produced between 1974 and 1983.

According to the Commission, since 1979 there have been seven deaths from carbon monoxide poisonings that have been linked to improper maintenance or servicing of the Blueray "blue flame" furnaces or boilers.

The firm is working through oil heat distributors and organizations servicing these distributors, to notify all persons living in homes where these furnaces have been installed, Consumers are being reminded that annual maintenance of the equipment is necessary for safety and efficiency. The need for this specialized maintenance is due to the design of the equipment for high-efficiency heating which requires annual servicing. Each household is also being supplied with a label to permanently attach to the furnace/boiler which alerts the home owner and the servicer of the necessity for strict adherence to all service and maintenance procedures prescribed by the firm.

Consumers can determine if their furnace/boiler is one involved in this alert program by looking for a blue and white label on the equipment which reads "BLUERAY by Blueray Systems, Inc." The model number, BR 60/75, appears on a white label. Consumers having these furnaces should immediately contact Blueray Systems, Inc., to receive their free safety label, as well as copies of publications which describe the proper procedures for maintenance and service. Blueray can be reached by calling collect on 215-789-6224 or by writing to: Blueray Systems, Inc., 8301 Lansdowne Avenue, Upper Darby, Pa 19082.

To report unsafe consumer products or to receive safety information, call the CPSC toll-free hotline number at 800-638-CPSC. A teletypewriter number for the hearing impaired is 800-638-8270.

Send the link for this page to a friend! The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission protects the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death from 15,000 types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270, or visit CPSC's web site at www.cpsc.gov/talk.html. Consumers can obtain this release and recall information at CPSC's web site at www.cpsc.gov.

Your friend in the industry,

Alan R. Mercurio

Oil Tech Talk
  • Alan R. Mercurio
    Options
    Thanks Ed

I got your message and appreciate your offer.

Alan R. Mercurio

Oil Tech Talk
  • Alan R. Mercurio
    Options
    Sven

Thanks for thinking of me buddy!

Alan R. Mercurio

Oil Tech Talk
  • Tommy Stojanov
    Tommy Stojanov Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Blue Ray??

Never heard of these oil burners. Can someone give me a background as to what these burners were like? Just a regular gun burner? Why did they fail and produce CO? Thanks!
  • B. Tice
    B. Tice Member Posts: 206
    Options
    Hey Tommy

Hows it going? The Blue Ray was a blue flame burner based on a Carlin 99/100 style chassis.Big disaster. Quite a few put in around the Rochester area.
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    Just my opinion,

but there was nothing wrong with a BlueRay if it was adjusted properly and with accurate and calibrated test equipment. Although, I personally did not like them and ripped several dozen out, it wasn't a bad unit if run to specs.

The biggest problem was that it was a mongrel from day one, rather than engineered. A lot of parts thrown together that required a technician and not a burnerman to adjust and setup.
    Again, OMO, but teks in a rush or improperly trained was the biggest problem. Just for the record, I know 3 teks that have them in their homes and won't part with them, FACT!

One guy last summer did tell me though that when the low NOX burners hit, his 'puppy comes out and a thoroughbred goes in'. Both the low NOX and the BlueRay burn blue, FACT!
  • Firedragon_4
    Options
    Take note of these passages:

strict service and maintenance of the Blueray

been linked to improper maintenance or servicing

annual maintenance of the equipment is necessary for safety and efficiency.

the necessity for strict adherence to all service and maintenance procedures prescribed

So, what's new?
  • John Penwarden_2
    John Penwarden_2 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Blue-ray

I had a small (80000 BTUH) unit in a previous house. The unit was about 15 yrs old and it caused me so much grief. The techs could only do so much. When I sold the house back in 2000, I told the new owners of my intent to either put in a Burhnam or a Crown. They put in another Blue-ray. At least they had a beckett burner put on (I-think).
  • Firedragon_4
    Options
    Where the heck did they

get that? BlueRay went belly up in the late 1980's, or are you just talking about the oilburner itself?
  • George, TES
    George, TES Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Blue Ray

I had a Blue Ray in my house until I moved (3 yrs ago). I had rechambered the unit, enlarged the burner mounting flange, new gaskets on the front clean out panel and installed a Carlin Elite. The unit ran at 86 %. I had a Danfoss Pump at 150 psi with a Hago .65 SS nozzle with a spin-on filter and it needed cleaning every three years (yearly nozzle change). Although it was a pain to clean, it ran clean and very efficient for ten years. Maybe a Reillo would work better.
  • Big Ed_2
    Big Ed_2 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Did I hear Blue Ray ? ..........Slowly I turn , Step by Step....

:)
This discussion has been closed.