Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam test station

Options
Dominic
Dominic Member Posts: 2
I need help in designing a steam testing station. The system requires 2 lb @215°F steam and require 3 to 5 °F super heat at 2 lbs . Can I bring in a higher steam pressure and reduce it to 2lbs? Will this create super heat? What is the corralation between how much to reduce the steam to create 3 to 5°F super heat? The max system load will be no higher than 40,000 btuh. Is there any one out there to assist me?
Thanks

Comments

• Dominic
    Dominic Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Steam Testing Station

I need help in designing a steam testing station. The system requires 2 lb @215°F steam and require 3 to 5 °F super heat at 2 lbs . Can I bring in a higher steam pressure and reduce it to 2lbs? Will this create super heat? What is the corralation between how much to reduce the steam to create 3 to 5°F super heat? The max system load will be no higher than 40,000 btuh. Is there any one out there to assist me?
    Thanks
  • Tony Conner
    Tony Conner Member Posts: 549
    Options
    You're Looking...

...for something that's pretty freakin' precise. I don't know that you'll be able to achieve your requirements with off the shelf, normally available components. Depending upon what you're doing, you may need to go for lab grade pressure gauges and thermometers.

A PRV will theoretically give you some superheat downstream. That said, I've installed thermometers downstream of some PRVs, and the steam temp fluctuates with the load. Sometimes you get quite a bit of superheat, other times, virtually none. And 40,000 BTU/hr - that's only about 40 lbs/hr flow. That's little. Even a properly sized PRV will tend to have something of a wandering output, like a sine wave. If you need 2 PSIG, and set the PRV to deliver that, you'll likely see 1.5 to 2.5 or 1 to 3 PSIG as the output.

Try a supplier of steam components such as Spirax Sarco, Armstrong, Spence, Hoffman etc and see what they think.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,191
    Options
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.