Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas line size

Options
RonF
RonF Member Posts: 6
Hello,
I recently purchased a house with a Weil-Mclain GV-4 boiler. The boiler was converted to propane because natural gas is not available. I have a couple of questions. First, the gas line to the boiler is ¾" black iron pipe and it has a ¾" X ¾" X ½" T at the boiler. Is it ok to have ¾" line run all the way to the boiler? Should it have been reduced to ½" before it reached the boiler? If it helps all the appropriate regulators for the system have been installed. Next, the system is setup with three zones and it uses three Taco Priority Zoning Circulators 007. I was told these Circulators were used so that in the future a fourth circulator could be added to an extra exciting T in the manifold for an indirect hot water heater. Theses circulators would give the water heater priority over the other zones. Does this sound correct? Is the system a little over kill? Could zone valves have worked as well?
Thanks for any information. I am just trying to get educated on my new house and its systems. If any further information is needed please let me know.
PS. I have been going to the site for the past two weeks and I am very impressed with the information people are willing to share. It seems to me that you are true craft persons of your trade.

Comments

• Floyd
    Floyd Member Posts: 429
    Options
    Ron....

The gas line is just fine!!!! 3/4 will work great .... depending on the length of the line it may have been
    required to run 3/4 to get adquate gas flow.
    With the circ question there are other factors to consider there also....
    Yes, you could go with zone valves and still have the indirect have priority but
    the cost is similar, and with the separtate circs. if one fails you just lost that
    zone and not the whole place!!!
    Sounds like you have a great system there and the GV boiler is an excellent boiler,
    espec. for LP.... Just be prepared for the LP bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LP gas is a very expensive way to heat a home.

But then....... I think we in the US have had it to easy for way to long........
    We are going to get a rude awakening here very shortly!!!!!!

Floyd
  • Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Options
    Hi Ron,

Gas pipe is sized to meet the demand of the fixture it serves based on the load (BTU's) and the distance it has to run. The connection at the equipment is the size the manufacturer has determined is the size his equipment requires to meet that BTU demand.

Someone, probably the propane dealer/installer, determined that you needed a 3/4" pipe from the source to the equipment and then reduced it to meet the manufactures connection. If your boiler is meeting the heating load of the house everything is proper. You really can not oversize supply to a fixture. There would just be more gas available than actually required. Most, if not all, installers try to size their piping to meet the load.

I'll let the "Wetheads" tackle your heating questions. Speaking of tackle-Go Pats.
  • RonF
    RonF Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for the information, and hope you have a nice holiday.
    Ron
  • Herb
    Herb Member Posts: 31
    Options
    3/4\" inch gas line

is the standard for the LP gas installs that include heating equipment as their primary load. The 3/4" size provides plenty of capacity for most homes along with the extra needed to run a range, water heater, dryer, fireplace, etc. Having circs instead of zone valves offers better back-up to keep the heat coming. Sounds like a good system, enjoy it!
This discussion has been closed.