Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

whats the trick

Options
Just cut it out, remember to watch carefully that you don't damage other threads.

Comments

• ceikey
    ceikey Member Posts: 60
    Options
    whats the trick

for loosening original fittings on steam systems (old 2-pipe system with no steam traps)? The thread sealant they used is impossible. I have tried heat with no luck. Also, how do I size my air vents on the radiators?
  • Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Options
    What are you

trying to do? If just trying to remove a fitting, most on a steam system are made of cast iron and can be broken with two hammers. You must be very cautious, wear eye protection, do not have anyone near by and watch for flying iron. It is not difficult if done with care.

You can tell if it is cast iron and not malleable by the hub where the pipe enters the fitting. Cast iron has a substantial hub where malleable fittings are almost smooth. Malleable fittings will not break and must be cut.

Good luck
  • John Lenhart
    John Lenhart Member Posts: 25
    Options

The best stuff that I have found is a product called Kano Kroil. It is made by Kano laboratories in tenn. A penetrating oil/ petroleum product. It creeps uphill and will penetrate a crack as small as one millionth of an inch. Good luck!!
  • Eric
    Eric Member Posts: 95
    Options
    cheater pipe

I worked the oil field going to school. One time we used a backhoe bucket to push down on the pipe wrench. The fitting in the chain vise bottomed out the truck one ton suspension before it broke loose. (but it worked)
  • Tony Conner
    Tony Conner Member Posts: 549
    Options
    Even Though Malleable Won't...

...break, you can often loosen stubborn fittings by pounding them a few times. A few good smacks, try the wrench again, and they'll often come loose.

We've found going at them while they're good and hot from the steam helps. We had a flash steam line at a plant we do work in that just wasn't coming loose no matter what. We had the valve off, but after 15 minutes, we had to open it to just let the pressure off the equipment. The line was open just downstream of the fitting we needed off, so we cracked the steam on, and let it blow for a couple of minutes, until the pressure dropped. Shut it off, and put the wrench on it right away (still steam drifting out of the open line)and the fitting just spun off with almost no effort at all.
This discussion has been closed.