Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buyer beware!!!!!!!!

Options
Mark Hunt
Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
some of you may remember my post about it.

Something is finally being done about the contractor that did this to these folks.

Read the article.

Any homeowner planning on building a home in this area needs to see this.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=84206&category=FRONTPG&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=12/18/2002

Mark H

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=238&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• jfox
    jfox Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Unethical GCs

can cause almost unlimited grief and loss. Homeowners can check references, search public records, use a good lawyer and/or architect, and still lose hundreds of thousands of dollars.

In my opinion, the ONLY real protection a homeowner has is to never pay ahead. Other than a nominal deposit to ratify the contract (like $500, or an amount that they are willing to never see again) I think a homeowner should insist on a payment schedule that closely matches the work done and materials delivered with money paid. For phases that take several weeks, like framing, progress payments can be made on a percentage basis. When a phase is complete the GC gets paid the contract amount and makes a portion of his profit margin. This creates an ongoing incentive for the GC to keep showing up, to make his hours and manage the job efficiently, and get the work done.

There really is no reason for a homeowner to bear all the risk of something going wrong by making a large deposit. Even if there is no unethical behavior involved, like the guy gets in a car wreck and can't work anymore. If the homeowner has not paid ahead, there is no issue of trying to get money back. The GC gets paid up to date and the homeowner can move on. If a GC needs your deposit to pay last weeks bills, you do not want him anywhere near your house!

This applies a lot more to GCs than to Wallies, but I know homeowners browse here. I hope this helps someone build their dream house and avoid the kind of thing that was reported in the article.

Let me add that homeowners have to be reasonable, too. I am not saying scrutinize every box of nails the guy buys. Building a house is a complex job and there is give and take no matter what. Just don't start out behind the eight ball.

My last two cents worth.This is especially important if there is a construction loan involved and you live in a state with mechanic's liens.

jq
  • Mark Hunt
    Options
    I was

$20,000 higher than the other HVAC contractor and he included TWO central A/C systems. All I bid was the radiant heat.

The heating contractor took all of his equipment back and cut radiant tubing. He also took the oil tanks.

I measured the tubing in this house and there is currently 18,000 linear feet of tubing stapled up. The heating contractor tried to run all of the circuits back to the mechanical room. Some 3/8" circuits were over 1000' long.

They drilled 1 1/2" holes in the TJI's about 6" off of the bearing points.

When I met with the homeowner after all of this had occured I could hardly look him in the eyes.

The last time I spoke to him he told me that the house was sinking and had to be torn down.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    If they

Would round up a few of these guys and televise their firing squad execution on the CBS News it would stop. This wacko feels or has learned that the benefits of doing business like this outweigh the risks. The courts should up the ante on guys like this.

JMHO
  • Mason
    Mason Member Posts: 102
    Options
    some peoples kids

Do you ever wonder what his children will turn out like??
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    Hopefully

The guy is sterile or neutered or reproductivley challenged in some other way.
  • Mark Hunt
    Options
    NOPE!

> The guy is sterile or neutered or reproductivley

> challenged in some other way.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark Hunt
    Options
    NOPE!

He does have kids.

Hopefully they will not be like Dad.

I think they'll get the message when he is sitting in prison.

The heating contractor is in deep here as well. Just as much a crook as the builder.

Mark H

• TJ
    TJ Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Where was the building inspector?

If the county the home owners were building in required inspections, how did this project go this far wrong? This GC, was he licensed? If he was licensed by the county or state, he's supposed to be of good moral character. Apparently no one checked this guy out. At least the home owners live near the water - they should invite the GC over for a one way fishing trip; not an unheard of thing near large bodies of water.
  • Mark Hunt
    Options
    Now that's a good question

Not reported in this story and conspicuously absent is the inspector.

He passed everything the builder did.

That has not gone unnoticed by the DA.

All I can say about that.

Mark H

This discussion has been closed.