Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensation

Options
Jeremy
Jeremy Member Posts: 52
I recently (last spring) installed central a/c in a ranch style home. The system has 1 central return located in the hallway. HO called the other day and said that while he was in the attic digging out his Christmas lights he bumped the return duct and a lot of water poured out of his return duct and onto the floor. I am assuming this is condensate water and would like to know why. He states the a/c has been off for 2 months now. Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• EDDIE GRIERSON_2
    EDDIE GRIERSON_2 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Condensation

Try closing the vents and or blocking the return. Could be the temperature difference between the attic and the first floor. High Humidity?
  • Maurice Pickett
    Maurice Pickett Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Condensate in your fan coil unit.

It is quite likely that the evaporator cooling coil is not correctly trapped and water is not draining properly out of the drain pan. Also, the fan coil must be level. Water likely has accumulated in the fan compartment and when the return air plenum was damaged while searching for the Christmas lights it drained out.
  • JimGPE_3
    JimGPE_3 Member Posts: 240
    Options
    I agree - condensation

Does he have a humidifier in the home? What part of the world is the home in? Cold climate?
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Condensation

We live about 45 minutes west of Philadelphia, Pa. Thanks for the responses, I have never come accrossthis situation before.
This discussion has been closed.