Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Alternatives to lightweight concrete/gypcrete

Options
there's always the "sandwich" method as well, which is like a do-it-yourself version of all the climate panel/warmboard/quiktrak systems out there. for about a 3/4" buildup, use 1x strapping and aluminum diffuser plates stapled to the top, with sub or finished floor over that.

More labor intensive but typically cheaper than any prefab panel system, and maybe even cheaper than thin pour systems depending on your plate and concrete pricing.

Comments

• don_3
    don_3 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    alternatives to lightweight concrete

I am planning a new home and plan on using radiant heat. I would like to know what my alternatives are to lightweight concrete on a wood subfloor?
  • Michael B
    Michael B Member Posts: 179
    Options
    go to

www.wattsradiant.com and check out sub-ray system. Also check out "find a contractor" for ace local HVAC dude.
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    There's an interesting product

Made by Roth. It has 90# crush foam insulation on the back and aluminum face on the top surface. It accepts 3/8" tube and is 3/4" thick. I was told you can put tile or laminate floors right over it. If used under carpet they recommend 5mm luan underlayment. If used with solid hardwood you have to use sleepers. Nice to have your insulation and sound barrier right on top of the floor and not have to mess with insulating the floor joists. Supposed to transmit heat like crazy.
  • don_3
    Options

> I am planning a new home and plan on using

> radiant heat. I would like to know what my

> alternatives are to lightweight concrete on a

> wood subfloor?

what is the name of Roth product? Thanks
  • don_3
    Options

What is the name of the Roth product?
  • roth top-o-floor system

The system has been out for a couple of years iin Scandinavia and recently has been adopted for USA use. It is called the "Roth Radiant Panel System for 3/8" Tube" part #1171000.009. List Price is $375.00

One kit includes enough to do 96 square feet of floor...or so the book says! In the box is 10 pieces of 2'x4' "master panel," 6 pieces of 2ft wide Radius Panel (for 6 and 12" centers) and 6 transition pieces (to run a supply and return to another loop).

Pretty nice system. 90 psi crush with a R3. Not a lot of insulation, but some. I still suggest if you can to get insulation below.

I did not see in their install manual anything about nailers for wood floors. Personally if using wood I would put a floating floor on it like pergo. I would also suggest putting floor leveler ion the radiaus pieces to increase transfer and level the floor.

Tile I would put directly over it or put wonder board down first.

carpet, install luan first.

Hope this helps.

Steve aka wheels
    www.avcosupply.com
This discussion has been closed.