Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lopi Stove

Options
... a Lopi Stove or fireplace insert, or any experience with Lopi? I'm looking for a heat source for the next ice storm, Iraq invasion, or Venezuelan general strike ... haven't owned a woodstove for 16 years, their technology has come a long way but I haven't kept up. Thanks for any and all comments.

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    A gas fireplace

Check out the heater rated direct vent gas fireplaces, look good and no electricity needed. If it's heater rated you can run it off a thermostat to keep the house from freezing.
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    GEEEEEZZZZZEEEEEE

George! What ever happened to peace love and understanding??Try buying a nice gas generator:)

cheese
  • George Peteya
    George Peteya Member Posts: 34
    Options
    It's not really about ...

... war and pestilence. I'm just tired of my zero-output recreational Heatilator. I might as well heat my house instead of the Great Outdoors. . Got the outdoor reset on the heating system in '99, put the R-50 in the attic in '02, this is just the next logical step. HR, thanks for the lead on woodheat.org. Gas is out ... all LP here and I don't want that great white bullet in the backyard. Not while we still have trees.
  • B. Tice
    B. Tice Member Posts: 206
    Options
    Lopi

I used to install stoves quite a bit years ago.Lopi gets a double thumbs up from me.
  • Paul Cooke
    Paul Cooke Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Heatin' with wood

George

Have you thought of installing a masonry heater? I've used one for about the last 6 years and have found them to be head and shoulders above any other wood burning appliance I ever used before.

Unless the outdoor temp drops into the teens, I usually burn one fire a day. No need to feed the thing all day. No slow burning, smokey fires. The room heats evenly...the same as having a radiant floor. The difference between the temp at the floor and ceiling is about 1 or 2 degrees.
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    Buried propane

People commonly bury propane tanks. The dealers have a tank made for underground use, the fill riser is the only thing above ground, some of the high end rural developments require them. With LP you can also have non electric hot water and cooking and even a frige if you're really into off the grid stuff.
  • George Peteya
    George Peteya Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Need portability

Sorry to withhold information, but the stove/insert comes with me when I move, whether that's next year or 2020. Your Masonry heater looks gorgeous, though ...
This discussion has been closed.