Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiant countertops

Options
i installed the pex last week, and the granite countertops come in on tues. i installed radiant countertops on another job last year, and the people loved it. it runs about the same temp. as the floor. can anyone see any potential problems? i think it would be a great source of supplemental heat. bob
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    radiant countertops

i installed the pex last week, and the granite countertops come in on tues. i installed radiant countertops on another job last year, and the people loved it. it runs about the same temp. as the floor. can anyone see any potential problems? i think it would be a great source of supplemental heat. bob
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    Options
    radiant countertops

• RB_2
    RB_2 Member Posts: 272
    Options
    Great stuff...

You can't do this with forced air!

We've seen bread and pie warmers, plate heaters, and whole bunch of creative applications...this picture is one of the best I've seen...can I have permission to use it our seminars?

RB
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Consider

keeping it as a seperate zone. Perhaps a setpoint control watching the return or supply temperature. Prepare for downward heat also, and keep the Godiva chocolates away from the top :) Maybe leave one section un-heated or a way to shut it down should they desire a "cool space"

I run my bathroom concrete counter at 78 degrees, which is plenty warm.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    Options
    nice idea

just thinking of the incubation temps of food born bacterica (SP). Let the homeowners know when the heat is on, they may have to be extra carefull about cleaning up spills from chicken, turkey or fish. Could come back to make them pretty sick.

Chuck

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • CN
    CN Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Radiant countertops

I would also be concerned about the possibility of Airlock Within the high points of the system (namely the countertops)...You might want to make sure that you push at least 2-3 gpm through the tubing to force out any air that might migrate to the countertop areas...
  • Duncan_2
    Duncan_2 Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Good answers.

I can think of a limited, minor concern, probably doesn't apply to residential counters.

A pastry chef would have a fit. They like cold marble. I had to install AC in pastry chef's prep area once. If the butter in the crusts melts, it makes their work impossible.

Sure would make those cold countertops nice in the wintertime.
    Options
    a pastry chef would love these countertops

these are the ones i did last year and they also have radiant cooling. the counters run about 68 degrees in the cooling mode.downward heat loss is reduced with refletex insulation, and hot rod's idea for a cool spot is good, because the first customer said fruit in a bowl ripened too quick. i've heard concerns for bacteria before but do you think going from 68 degrees to 80 degrees will grow that much more bacteria? maybe less will grow when heated, because bacteria needs moisture to grow, and the heat dries the countertops much quicker. and sure robert bean, you or anyone can use any of my pictures. bob
  • RB_2
    RB_2 Member Posts: 272
    Options
    Thanks...

much appreciated!
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Ditto control & \"cold zone(s)\"

Much above 78° or so (as hot rod mentioned) and a cook might actually become uncomfortable from the radiant heat on their face/arms when they work.

A few good places for "cold zones." 1) Near refrigerator for loading/unloading 2) Near cooktop where you're most likely to keep cold things away from the frig for an extended period 3) If there is an eating counter/peninsula there is usually a slightly dropped area where plates, etc. go. Heat THAT, but not the area where food is to be placed. Cold prepared food on a warm countertop is not the best combination. 4) Food prep/chopping area. I can assure you that lettuce won't like it. As an alternative homeowner should have large and small wood chopping pads built up slightly on little feet with a dedicated, convenient storage area at close hand.

Polished granite is quite durable but can be etched by some foods--in the presence of heat most any chemical reaction is accelarated, so homeowner should be DOUBLY aware.

Soapstone (again) is a wonder material ideally suited to this. It is naturally bacterioseptic (meaning bacteria doesn't grow on it)--note I did not say bacteriocidal (meaning kills bacteria).
  • George Peteya
    George Peteya Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Keep flow rates above ...

... 0.5 gpm for 3/8" pex, and 0.8 gpm for 1/2", and you'll be fine. This is between 1.5 and 2 feet per second, enough to push air bubbles downhill. Two or three gallons per minute in 1/2" tube is too much. You'll jiggle the martinis and collapse the popovers..
This discussion has been closed.