Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Carrying I & O Manuals in trucks. (hb)

Options
Jackchips
Jackchips Member Posts: 344
things were not easier when we just had to go into the basement, throw some more coal on the, hopefully, still burning embers, clean out the pit and go upstairs.

Ahh, progress is wonderful. LOL

Comments

• heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    How do you carry.......

every reference and service manual for all of the different equipment we work on. Anyone that knows me is aware that I am not very bright and constantly need to refer to tech literature to get out of trouble (often, my own doing). How much do you keep in the trucks or do you download pdf files and use your laptop? I know there isn't enough room inmy truck for all the info I would like to have with me.

Warm Regards,

hb

"Expert in Silent Warmth"™

888-UB-COMFY

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    \"you download pdf files and use your laptop\"

You'd need another truck to haul it around, like a mobile library! Download it make it into hard discs, and then you can carry it with you in the laptop case. This is a thing that is on its way. for all information. Doctors and firemen, pilots and construction superintendents, and US. An engineer or lawyer is no smarter than you, they just know where to find answers. If you knew where to look they'd be out of a job.
    bigugh (and they will not get their hands, dirty so your job is secure!)
  • Sven
    Sven Member Posts: 34
    Options
    manuals

Scanners and Cd burner's are now very inexpensive. I would try to download what I can off of the Internet preferably in PDF format.

When scanning manuals and such, set your scanner to grayscale, you do not need color for the majority of them. A side benefit of doing grayscale is the scans are quicker and the file sizes are smaller. If you have a full version of Adobe Acrobat, you can convert scanned images and Word documents to PDF format.

The PDF format is much smaller in size than other formats and is easier to work with. I have thrown out several large bags of paper that is now stored digitally on my computer. All of my manuals for my tools are in PDF format and easily fit on a CD.
  • Chris_4
    Chris_4 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    usually

usually I carry a hard copy of the most used and common stuff in a binder, the rest I have on CDs and carry with the laptop. I also have a mobile internet connection, so if I don't have what I need I can get it off the net on the job.

Chris
  • Alan R. Mercurio
    Alan R. Mercurio Member Posts: 588
    Options

Jeff, Boy does this bring back memorys. I use to take up a whole shelf in my van with thechnical data myself. and of course it always seemed there was something else I wished I had put on that shelf.

The best I can say as someone else mentioned keep the most common data in your service vehicle and the rest at arms reach in your offfice. If you don't have a shelf available a milk crate makes a great file cabinet.Thats where I kept my over flow of manuals.

Somethign that is pretty easy to keep with you and I always did and still do. is to keep all the tech hotlines in my possesion. Happy Holidays

Your friend in the industry,
    Alan R. Mercurio

Oil Tech Talk
  • Glenn Harrison
    Glenn Harrison Member Posts: 405
    Options
    I have about 30 three ring binders---

on my truck taking up a shelf and a half with all the different reference stuff I need, and as Technology and electronics roll on so will the need for more info.
    In my case the worst part is needing info for 1)Gas schorched air gas several differnt brands, 2)electric schorched air 3)Air to air heat pumps 4)Geothermal heat pumps 5)Hydronic boilers 6)Steam Boilers 7)other hydronic stuff 8)Other Steam stuff 9)Air purification and humidification for schorched air 10)Central air systems 11)Oil burners 12)general natural gas info 13)general propane info, and more that I can't think of right now.

I definatly would think of a laptop when I could aford one, but then it would take me a year to scan all the existing manuals I have accumulated over the last 12 years. So I just keep adding manuals and binders for now.
  • Sven
    Sven Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Also, keep an eye on

those "tablet pC's". They maybe just what you guys need. Prices are between $1500 - $2000

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/tabletpc/tc1000.html
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    A laptop

with a modem, and a cell phone could get you virtually any info. Also you could log on here for virtually instant access to someone that has the info.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.