Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

fuel oil nozzle

Options
Patrick_9
Patrick_9 Member Posts: 2
In my research I have found where changing from a hollow nozzel to a semi solid increased efficency by 5-9%. I have decided to get away from the hollow nozzel and go to semi solid.

So you are saying to go with manufacturers recomended nozzel even though I have finally increased my draft??

Comments

• Patrick_9
    Patrick_9 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    fuel oil nozzle

Good morning!! I have a question regarding fuel nozzles, if the burner calls for a .75 gph/60 degree nozzle is there a problem putting in a 80 degree?? Thanks in advance for all your help.
  • Steve Levine
    Steve Levine Member Posts: 106
    Options
    I suggest

that you put in the exact nozzle specified by the manufacturer. Make sure you use the manufacturers they specify and the letter designatrion, such as "1.10 80°ES". They have tested fort a wide variety of conditions and there specification will give yo the best performance.
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    nozzle

it depends on the chamber its firing into tech should have checked the boiler specs to see what the correct nozzle is for the boiler

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Alan R. Mercurio
    Alan R. Mercurio Member Posts: 588
    Options
    More about Nozzles.....

With today's flame retention burners and smaller combustion chambers it's so crucial to understand the effects, that increasing fuel pump pressure can have on a system. Possibly incomplete combustion that will lead to the production of CO (carbon monoxide)

Something you should know is the tolerances nozzles fall within.

For example if you had a system with a maximum firing rate of 1.20 GPH and you decide it would be better to install a 1.00 GPH you know if you increase the pump pressure to 145 PSI you'll be back to 1.20 GPH with a smaller nozzle or will you?

Nozzles from 1.00 GPH to 1.50 GPH can have a tolerance of +5% and - 2%

So if the 1.00 GPH nozzle you installed was +5% at 145 PSI your actual firing rate would be 1.26 GPH. Again this could lead to a system cycling on hi limit and/or worse yet the incomplete combustion that will lead to the production of CO (carbon monoxide) Now with a better understanding if you were to have increased the Pump PSI to only 120 PSI you'll find this would only bring the 1.00 GPH Nozzle to 1.10 GPH and even it were over by 5% that would still only be approx. 1.155 GPH, still well under the Maximum Firing Rate.

Here is something else to think about. Did you know when you increase your pump pressure although the spray pattern gets shorter, the angel will become wider?

This means your 80° Nozzle may have just become an 84° Nozzle. You may have done this because the flame was impinging o the back wall of the chamber unfortunately now it may be impinging on two sides of the chamber. In this case you may have wanted to change the nozzle to a 70°

These are the reasons why it's so important to understand this and to always after any adjustments are made to the burner perform a combustion analysis

Your friend in the industry,

Alan R. Mercurio

Oil Tech Talk
  • Steve Levine
    Options
    Alan has explained in detail

why you should follow the manufacturers specifications exactly, especially in todays boilers.
  • Alan R. Mercurio
    Alan R. Mercurio Member Posts: 588
    Options
    Yes and No :)

Patrick, I'm not sure if your question is directed at me or steve? So just to cover myself and not ignore you here's my thoughts on my post above.

I am just sharing some knowledge as to why it's so important to understand the effects of changes we make in the field. and to always remember that after any adjustments are made to the burner we should perform a combustion analysis. I understand lab conditions don't always exsist, after all I'm from the trenches of reality :)

Your friend in the industry,

Alan R. Mercurio

Oil Tech Talk
  • Steve Levine
    Options
    Patrick

I am not trying to get into a debate. If it works for you, great!
    Manufacurers must be sure their product will operate best under the wide variety of field conditions the equipment is exposed to. This applies to many variable and they do change form day to day on each individual job.

Remember, the manufacutrers do not sell fuel oil!

Steve
  • Patrick_10
    Patrick_10 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Thanks for the info!!!
This discussion has been closed.