Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tom @ Dunkirk.....Q90 ignitors

Options
Boilerpro
Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
T'was wondering if there hae been any solutions worked out for the ignitor failure problems with the Q-90 and Quantums. Nice boiler, (have one in a customers home and have one to instlall in my home, but I won't be selling any more until the problem is resolved. Also,it would be nice if the heat exchanger was insulated, alot of wasted heat in DHW applications and in cold unheated basements. Tbks for any updates.

Boilerpro

Comments

• peter desens
    peter desens Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Igniters

BP,

A change has been made to the Q90-100 igniter. As of October 2002, the igniter is shorter.

The igniter is made up of a ceramic insulator, and the glow rod. The glow rod size remains the same as it always has, the ceramic insulator has been reduced in length. This reduces the temperature of the igniter during the boiler run cycle, effectively increasing the igniters life.

Peter Desens
    Technical Service Manager
  • Chad Brickley
    Chad Brickley Member Posts: 12
    Options

Just wondering what the specific problem has been and how often this has been occuring? I have two Q 90's and 3 months ago one of my two boilers went down due a crack in the ignitor. Hopefully this will not be an recurring problem.
  • Boilerpro
    Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
    Options
    The apparent problem...

is the ignitors have a very short life. It is most likely due to the fact that the boiler is a loss mass boiler that will short cycle at light loads. Adding some additional mass to the system , or using the boiler in a high mass system (concrete radiant floor, converted gravity hot water) should also give a longer ignitor life. Of general interest is the fact that Weil Mc Lain no longer uses glow ignitors on any of their boilers... all are spark ignited. Score one for Weil!

Boilerpro
  • Callinsky
    Callinsky Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Dunkirk Q90-100 ignitors

Dunkirk has implemented a running change on the 100 series using a the shorter 4" ignitor from the 50 and the 75. Part number is 43800013. This unit operates at a lower temperature resulting in longer life. This unit can be installed in the models with the old longer ignitor. Dunkirk will cover under warrany. Models with S/N higher than 300200341S have the new ignitor.

Dunkirk is also offering a ground wire kit #2272508 for Q90s with UT ignition controls only. S/N larger than 300200341s already have the kit installed. This kit improves the strength of the flame signal reducing the chance of boiler shutdown or short cycling on the flame failure mode.

Call Dunkirk at 716-366-5500 if you have questions.

• Boilerpro_2
    Boilerpro_2 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Thanks for the update..Boilerpro NM

• Steve Miller
    Steve Miller Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Dunkirk Boilers, the next GlowCore?

Well I think we installed our last Dunkirk Q90. We have a 2 yr. old installation and have been thru 3 ignitors and this week the combustion blower went bad. This is with a buffer tank and a 4 baseboard zones and an indirect. With only a one year warranty on parts, this makes it tough to stand behind. The dealer assured us that they would carry all parts on hand and guess what? We've had to order in the ignitors and combustion blower. We now have a supply of ignitors on our self that ended up being a major hassle to get. We have 6 others we've installed within the past 3 yrs and each has had a ignitor replacement. I made a post a few months ago saying I thought this was a good boiler, can I take that back?
  • Massplumber
    Massplumber Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Dunkirk ignitors

I'm with you steve, I posted six week's ago that I've installed alot of the dunkirk q-90 and have had no problems, well I just replaced my third ignitor,all of these are "large" water content systems so please spear me the "buffer" tank stuff. Dunkirk say's they have made there ignitors shorter...well that's nice...why don't you send me out 11 of them because I'm sure I'll need them...P.S...why do they all fail on saturday night???.later Dunkirk, you my want to ad parts & "labor" warranty to your q-90 line but I'm sure you'll go broke.
This discussion has been closed.