Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Velocity problems copper-fin heat exchanger

Options
BobbyG
BobbyG Member Posts: 79
On water heaters (boiler) that work in conjunction with storage tanks Lochinvar recommends higher flow rates than other (AO Smith, Laars)units.

What I have seen in the last two months is 6 Thermometer wells and the hi-limits, that all mount in the heat exchanger header, deteriorate and leak or malfunction in the hi-limits.

I think it may be because of the higher flow rate. Has anyone else had a problem with this?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,193
    Options
    Are you

flow rated within the factory specs? If so that may not be a velocity problem. Check water chemistry, mainly ph. Also the higher the more "wear" at increased velocities.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • ta finnegan
    ta finnegan Member Posts: 121
    Options
    Deterioration

Sometimes on large commercial jobs, for instance with steam heat exchangers, mineral content of the feed water has been the culprit.

I'd have to look into it, but velocity, if the manufacturer says it's o.k. ....should be o.k.

How is the PH of the water?

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • BobbyG
    BobbyG Member Posts: 79
    Options

In particular I am talking about the Efficiency + "water heater" on the EWN200 Lochinvar publishes a 6.2 degree rise. In a water heater there is constantly new water being introduced to the system. I will check pH level of water. Thank you guys for the input. Appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.