Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Home Depot wins round 4 (2-1) Heatermon

Options
Heatermon
Heatermon Member Posts: 119
I'm feeling a little down today, but would like to share this with you guys. You know, I always brag about going head to head with big orange and coming out on top, but yesterday, we took it in the shorts. I had a customer who we installed a solar storage tank for in 1987 call and tell us about his leaking electric water heater. He had bought it when Home Base went out of business 4 years ago and installed it himself. Well, we helped him contact the manufacturer to see if they would supply a warranty replacement, but, since it was a private labeled unit, and the company that sold it is out of business, they wouldn't give a replacement. Anyway, he asked us what we could do for him. Well, since the solar is 15 years old, we suggested replacing both tanks, giving him the electric water heater as a warranty replacement, and we would take up the matter with the manufacturer ourselves. We have a good rep for that manufacturer who will, in cases like this, get the red tape cleared or just give us the unit himself (it pays to have a good repoir with these guys). He was all set up to do on Friday morning, but, when I got in the office I got a call from his wife asking us to cancel the order. Her husband had called her from HD and was going to purchase the electric water heater there and put it in himself. She said they would rather wait on replacing the solar tank since it's working, and they will call us again when the time comes. Well, I'm a little stunned at this point, but, it's O.K. I'll just get a better favor from my rep at a later day, for a customer who appreciates it more. Then the phone rings again with another past customer. His water heater is leaking and needs replacement. I give him "top of the line" options (12 year warranty, new safety pan and connectors, and wags valve). He thinks its "overkill" and so I come back with "standard" (8 year warranty, new pan and connectors). He thinks it's sufficient and we send out the crew that was available due to first guy's cancellation. Half hour later, just as my guys arrive at home, he calls back to office to cancel install. "My wife suggested I call HD to check up on your guys' pricing, and they are much better. I can get that "top of the line" unit installed by them for what you quoted me on the "standard" one." Well, if you would say the first guys call knocked the wind out from me, then this call would be considered "the flurry that followed". I asked if they were going to install a new pan, connections and a wags valve for that price and he admitted they weren't, but he told me they had convinced him that those things were unnecessary for this "top of the line" heater because "nothings going to happen to it for at least 12 years and who knows where I'll be then". I must tell you he's an elderly fellow - probably doesn't even buy green bananas anymore :). Anyway, I try to explain how we are a better value than them, when he delivers the "knockdown" punch: "Home Depot says they can now beat you all day long because "A.J. Plumbing" now does all of their water heater installations. Let me tell you about "A.J. Plumbing"(not their real name). They are a longtime local firm, like us, that came unglued when HD first came to town. Their owner was one of the first people I remember who preached against the evils of the big box and tried to rally "contractors" like ourselves to boycott any and everything associated with HD. Now his company is doing their installs? What is this world coming to? Just goes to show that you can never say "never" in this business. The guy who was your worst enemy today, may be providing your bread and butter tomorrow. Oh well, this is about the 10th different company they've had doing their installs. I doubt if it will be their last, but it's the first "plumbing" company I've seen in years. They've mostly been using "handymen" that go out of business within a year of "partnering" with the big orange. Time will tell.

By the way, the "1" point we scored today was a good one. During this fiasco of a morning, we had another "potential" customer call wondering what we charge to "look at a water heater". Told her "looks are free, we only charge when we actually do something" :). Well, she had an old water heater that was leaking from the drain valve and had a jar under it catching the water. She lived close by where my guys were. so I sent them there. They were at her house within 5 minutes of her call and put a cap on the drain and quoted her for a new. "Money's tight right now for the hollidays, can I call you guys after the new year and get it then?" Of course, we even have a better deal if you can wait till summer when we're slower also. Then, of course, she asks how much for today's service. My serviceman corrects her, "It's not how much, but how many". We have a policy that on small service jobs like this, we rerquire the customers to compensate us by becoming our "ambasabors of goodwill" to a certain number of people over the next few days. We ask them to tell their story of what they thought about our services and for them and to give out a certain number of cards to others that might need our service. We even track these by numbering the cards they are given so we can send them a thank you and a small token if someone uses the card to call us for service. She took 10 cards and promised to tell everyone at her work. Let's see HD compete with that! (Jab to the ribs) We may have lost this round, but it's still early in the fight and we've won many of the previous rounds and are ready to go the full 15 rounds. Thanks for letting me vent.

From down in the trenches,
I om the Heatermon

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=147&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Heatermon
    Heatermon Member Posts: 119
    Options
    Home Depot put us on the ropes yesterday...

I'm feeling a little down today, but would like to share this with you guys. You know, I always brag about going head to head with big orange and coming out on top, but yesterday, we took it in the shorts. I had a customer who we installed a solar storage tank for in 1987 call and tell us about his leaking electric water heater. He had bought it when Home Base went out of business 4 years ago and installed it himself. Well, we helped him contact the manufacturer to see if they would supply a warranty replacement, but, since it was a private labeled unit, and the company that sold it is out of business, they wouldn't give a replacement. Anyway, he asked us what we could do for him. Well, since the solar is 15 years old, we suggested replacing both tanks, giving him the electric water heater as a warranty replacement, and we would take up the matter with the manufacturer ourselves. We have a good rep for that manufacturer who will, in cases like this, get the red tape cleared or just give us the unit himself (it pays to have a good repoir with these guys). He was all set up to do on Friday morning, but, when I got in the office I got a call from his wife asking us to cancel the order. Her husband had called her from HD and was going to purchase the electric water heater there and put it in himself. She said they would rather wait on replacing the solar tank since it's working, and they will call us again when the time comes. Well, I'm a little stunned at this point, but, it's O.K. I'll just get a better favor from my rep at a later day, for a customer who appreciates it more. Then the phone rings again with another past customer. His water heater is leaking and needs replacement. I give him "top of the line" options (12 year warranty, new safety pan and connectors, and wags valve). He thinks its "overkill" and so I come back with "standard" (8 year warranty, new pan and connectors). He thinks it's sufficient and we send out the crew that was available due to first guy's cancellation. Half hour later, just as my guys arrive at home, he calls back to office to cancel install. "My wife suggested I call HD to check up on your guys' pricing, and they are much better. I can get that "top of the line" unit installed by them for what you quoted me on the "standard" one." Well, if you would say the first guys call knocked the wind out from me, then this call would be considered "the flurry that followed". I asked if they were going to install a new pan, connections and a wags valve for that price and he admitted they weren't, but he told me they had convinced him that those things were unnecessary for this "top of the line" heater because "nothings going to happen to it for at least 12 years and who knows where I'll be then". I must tell you he's an elderly fellow - probably doesn't even buy green bananas anymore :). Anyway, I try to explain how we are a better value than them, when he delivers the "knockdown" punch: "Home Depot says they can now beat you all day long because "A.J. Plumbing" now does all of their water heater installations". Let me tell you about "A.J. Plumbing"(not their real name). They are a longtime local firm, like us, that came unglued when HD first came to town. Their owner was one of the first people I remember who preached against the evils of the big box and tried to rally "contractors" like ourselves to boycott any and everything associated with HD. Now his company is doing their installs? What is this world coming to? Just goes to show that you can never say "never" in this business. The guy who was your worst enemy today, may be providing your bread and butter tomorrow. Oh well, this is about the 10th different company they've had doing their installs. I doubt if it will be their last, but it's the first "plumbing" company I've seen in years. They've mostly been using "handymen" that go out of business within a year of "partnering" with the big orange. Time will tell.

By the way, the "1" point we scored today was a good one. During this fiasco of a morning, we had another "potential" customer call wondering what we charge to "look at a water heater". Told her "looks are free, we only charge when we actually do something" :). Well, she had an old water heater that was leaking from the drain valve and had a jar under it catching the water. She lived close by where my guys were. so I sent them there. They were at her house within 5 minutes of her call and put a cap on the drain and quoted her for a new. "Money's tight right now for the hollidays, can I call you guys after the new year and get it then?" Of course, we even have a better deal if you can wait till summer when we're slower also. Then, of course, she asks how much for today's service. My serviceman corrects her, "It's not how much, but how many". We have a policy that on small service jobs like this, we rerquire the customers to compensate us by becoming our "ambasabors of goodwill" to a certain number of people over the next few days. We ask them to tell their story of what they thought about our services and for them and to give out a certain number of cards to others that might need our service. We even track these by numbering the cards they are given so we can send them a thank you and a small token if someone uses the card to call us for service. She took 10 cards and promised to tell everyone at her work. Let's see HD compete with that! (Jab to the ribs). We may have lost this round, but it's still early in the fight and we've won many of the previous rounds and are ready to go the full 15. Thanks for letting me vent.

From down in the trenches,

I om the Heatermon

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Jamie_6
    Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710
    Options
    HD

Like Sears the "HD" is the enemy we must not support them in any way. Do even buy chewing gum from them.
  • Noel Kelly
    Noel Kelly Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Resilience

I have to tell you that this is one of the best stories I have heard in a long time. We are all familiar with the cliche movie scene where the hero gets his lights knocked out over and over only to reach deep down within his bloodied self and regain the upperhand with a killer blow (or blows) to the solar (pun intended) plexus of his ape-like assailant and win the day, or the woman, or just his self-esteem and in so doing make us all believe that sometimes the good guys win. Good for you Heatermon.
  • Noel Kelly
    Noel Kelly Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Resilience

I have to tell you that this is one of the best stories I have heard in a long time. We are all familiar with the cliche movie scene where the hero gets his lights knocked out over and over only to reach deep down within his bloodied self and regain the upperhand with a killer blow (or blows) to the solar (pun intended) plexus of his ape-like assailant and win the day, or the woman, or just his self-esteem and in so doing make us all believe that sometimes the good guys do actually win. Good for you Heatermon.
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    If & only if

it is to our advantage $$$ wise.
  • Mark Chaffee
    Mark Chaffee Member Posts: 30
    Options

I liked that you quoted a WAGS valve, now your really are providing a benefit and protection to the homeowner that Home Depot can’t touch!!

- Mark from Taco
  • Rick Kelly
    Rick Kelly Member Posts: 40
    Options
    I was once like you were

I remember when I would configure my bids to include the best materials, the slickest features, and items meant to "look out" for the customer's best interests.
    When your dealing with the uninformed, all that extra value just comes across as extra cost. As informed professionals, we want to deliver a job to the best of our abilities but a competitive situation is not the time to do that.
    Get your foot in the door in a basic way, start to show what your made of, and then sell the upgrade.
    This applies whether or not HD and their moronic minions are part of the mix.
This discussion has been closed.