Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

WM stgo 4 with a john wood 50 gallon aqua booster install

Options
Joe Grosso
Joe Grosso Member Posts: 307
Took out a old ideal that finally gave out after 64 years.Found the install date and paper work in the customers basement.Sorry could not get a front view of the job but tight area.What do you guys think?

Comments

• Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Hey Joe

That's not a black tee on the domestic water side is it? Near the boiler drain? I had a guy with me that installed a black plug in the DHW on an indirect. It only lasted a month,rusted out and flooded the basement. Excuse me if I am wrong other than that, nice job.
  • Joe Grosso
    Options
    Hey Bill

No that is not on the DWH.What that is a zone for the basement with a tee with a drain cock to purge the zone.Believe me have seen many a plumber,oil men and so called heating people use black on dhw line both hot and cold.
  • B. Tice
    B. Tice Member Posts: 206
    Options
    Looks good Joe,

as usual. You might want to order some Gar-Ber filters with the bracket.Makes the oil filter mounting dilemma easier and faster.Esp. this time of year when your racing against the clock.
  • Joe Grosso
    Options
    B Tice

I like the gerber filters as my secondary filter.On this job I have a buried tank and just personally like the general on this set up.Thanks for the kind words.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Hey Joe

Thats the second job of yours I have seen where you reduced down the size of the riser. Should'nt that be full size to the riser.

On this job I can see that your header hieght is really close. Maybe this is a job where you would drop the header down before going up to meet the the main. It seems to me your going to get a lot of wet steam surging into the main. Dos'nt WM call for at least 18" full size on the riser. Maybe I am missing somthing in the picture.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Chauncey
    Chauncey Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Is that the original height of the anti-syphon on the

return? I am concerned about your water height, if it will match the Weil specs.
  • Joe Grosso
    Options
    S Miline

Frist of all I have had WM eng out at a few of my jobs before and after and They have been fine with 2 inch coming out on sgo-4 as long as I have plenty of a dimension.In this case I have 31 inchs.The way the picture was taken is from the steps then where the boiler isdown 2 to 3 feet.It can be alittle deceptive.
  • Joe Grosso
    Options
    Chauncey

We matched the boier height with the original height of the anti syphon with watching that we still are in ok limits of the a dimensions.Like I said above the picture is shot alittle from above and is a bit deceptive.Had it steaming for a couple of hours and no surging and nice dry steam.Sometimes in the winter cannot do all that I want because of heating concerns.
  • Piping the LWCO normal

keeps it at the minimum water level . Piping it up a little higher shouldnt cause a problem in operation . I'm assuming you got it higher so an auto feeder will keep the level higher ? We did that on a few jobs years ago , and someone ( Im not sure who ) told me it might void the warantee of the LWCO ? Cant see why though . One of these days I gotta read the instructions that come with it . It became a non issue with us becuase the company we worked for liked to use the 47-2 , which keeps the water higher than the 67 .

Good work again , Joe . Whats with the braided oil lines ? Is it just a coating that goes over the copper , or are they some sorta plastic tubing ? Are they pre made ?

I understand completely about having enough time to do all you can - especially in the winter . I tried to dual in all the 2 tappings on the ECT 3 steamers , as well as the Burnham V83 steamers - even though the specs dont call for it - but trying to do a whole job , many times with just 2 men , there just aint enough time .
  • Joe Grosso
    Options
    Hey Ron

The braided oil lines come in 24 and 36 inch and you can get them at Sid Harvey.They save you alot of work when you instal a tiger loop.Ask your manger if you can try them they are great.As to raisinfg the lwco I have two on this job and I put the 67 alittle higher so they do not fight each other and have a unimac feeder with the delay and small orfice so Boiler will not over fill.
  • Ahh , yes

We did the same thing on this big Burnham steam boiler a few weeks ago . We didnt have to raise the 67 because the probe LWCO was installed at the water line - or very close to it . We powered the Uni-Match feeder from the probe LWCO , and used the 67 as a backup . I would like to start using 2 probe LWCOs on the steam boilers where there are elderly people , or homeowners that you know wont blow down the 67 on a regular basis . Does the Weil Gold have a good 3/4 tapping at the water line for a probe ?
  • Joe Grosso
    Options
    Yes

> We did the same thing on this big Burnham steam

> boiler a few weeks ago . We didnt have to raise

> the 67 because the probe LWCO was installed at

> the water line - or very close to it . We powered

> the Uni-Match feeder from the probe LWCO , and

> used the 67 as a backup . I would like to start

> using 2 probe LWCOs on the steam boilers where

> there are elderly people , or homeowners that you

> know wont blow down the 67 on a regular basis .

> Does the Weil Gold have a good 3/4 tapping at the

> water line for a probe ?

• Joe Grosso
    Options
    Yes

Ron they do have a 3/4 tappingright at the water line.By the way very sweet looking job.One question where is the fuel filter is it at the tank.Also do you guys setup any jobs with double filters like one at the tank and a second one at the burner.I like a garber at the burner personal when I can.
  • Thank you , Joe

The oil filter is over to the right of the pic . On many jobs theres a filter right at the tank . We install one at the boiler on every job also . We use General filters exclusively .
This discussion has been closed.