Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Placement of Steam Traps and Valves

Options
Bret
Bret Member Posts: 13
I need to replace all of the steam traps and valves on my two pipe steam system. Unfortunatley, most of the radiators are built-in and I will need to pull panels and plaster to get to the radiators, traps and valves. A few of the radiators have their steam traps in the basement next to the return line. I don't want to have to pull the radiators for on-going maintneance. Can all the steam traps be installed near the return line in the basement without creating new problems? Also, a valve that is not accesible on a built-in radiaitor is not going to do much good and will eventually fail. Do I need valves on each radiator or can I pipe striaght though? If I must have valves, can I put these in the basement as well near the steam main?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    yes

I have had success with systems like that. The trap body on the radiator actually can stay in place. Put a new trap where it is accessable. You MUST remove the guts from the radiator trap that is at the radiator, though. I feel it may plug up or fail closed.

I have put TRVs with remote bulbs in the basement, and mounted the bulb in the airstream under the radiation up in the room with success. The adjustment is in the basement, but the room asthetics remain unchanged. Did a whole house that way. No regrets.

Noel
This discussion has been closed.