Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thinking about Chicago - Dan H.

Options
Just went to Chicago this past September for my neices wedding. Weather was perfect; stayed in a little burg called Hoffman Estates. Took the train into downtown Chicago and hoofed it all day to see the sights. Went to Navy Pier, sampled the cuisine from the hole-in-the-wall restaurants, saw a beautiful display of stained glass collections from the Chicago greats; marveled the architecture. Found a two story restaurant that encompassed two of our city blocks. Country boy impressed by the big city!!!! Couldn't beleive the wall of humanity on the street every day! I thought Cleveland drivers were bad, so on the way home I taught them what I learned in Chicago. Ready for a road trip; fill me in what's going on. Thanks, Joe.

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    Perhaps we should have

a Saint Patrick's Day theme? Hmmmm.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Art Pittaway
    Art Pittaway Member Posts: 230
    Options
    As long as

you don't put green coloring in the Guinness....Please!
    Art
  • Boilerpro
    Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
    Options
    Say , Art, You going to make it....

I'm planning on it, need to talk to the wife, though. Hope to see you there!

Boilerpro
  • Paul Cooke
    Paul Cooke Member Posts: 181
    Options
    St. Patrick's Day

I don't know if Richard Daley Jr. is a chip off the ol' block, but his Daddy used to dye the Chicago River green for St. Paddy's Day. That same Green River has been flowing backwards since 1900. It took them 8 years of digging to complete the project and I was told they finished on St. Patricks Day.

In order to celebrate this incredible sanitation feat the mayor wanted to do something special. One of the guys from Public Works was supposed to go down to the drug store and get a truckload of that Blue Tidy Bowl Stuff. And, as you can guess, he got the wrong color!
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Dan,

After the "First" Wetstock , do you really want a St. Patricks Day theme ? These animals need NO prompting !
    Bad Dog ! (I only wish I was ready enough to be there for the festivities)

Hope that the ideas can flow as freely, as the "amber colored fluids" may cloud the morning discussions, not to mention the masses assembled .Best of luck . Chris
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    Road trip!

We'll sing the blues together. Sweet Home Chicago!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Craig_2
    Craig_2 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    It's not easy being green

I love folklore but being from Chicago I can seperate the lore from the truth about the Chicago River being green.

The mayor has nothing to do with it. Mayor Richard Daley was not even born when the river was reversed.

It was first died green in the early 60's and although the idea came by happenstance it wasn't stupidity of choosing a wrong color. See http://www.chicagostpatsparade.com/miracle.shtml for information about the parade and river dying.

Like I said, I love folklore so tell whatever story you want. It's a cool tradition either way and the river will be green come March 17, no matter who is mayor.

-cf
  • Art Pittaway
    Art Pittaway Member Posts: 230
    Options
    BoilerPro, Speaking of green

Hi Dave, Dan should have my green as soon as the card process is complete. Looking forward to seeing you there.
    Thank you Mr. Holohan where ever you are.
    Art
  • tombig
    tombig Member Posts: 291
    Options
    Chicago River

One of the best river jokes was in the flick "The Fugitive" when one of the marshalls commented, "Why can't they die it blue the rest of the year."
This discussion has been closed.