Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

clogged water pipes s.milne ??

Options
The next time you see the white buildup, take some of the residue and put it in a small glass of vinegar. If it desolves, it is calcium or minerals. If it does'nt disolve, it is foreign matter and more than likely is the dip tube.

Hope this helps.

Glenn Harrison

Althoff Industries Inc.

Crystal Lake, Illinois

Comments

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Need help please

We have a customer who's faucet was clogged with some sort of white powdery, granular substance. We had to take it apart twice and it was in the shut-offs also. I will check for the hot water heater but I think they have an indirect, I am thinking a dip tube.

But with out a dip tube problem what could this be ????

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    My My My,

Such clean fingers for a plumber:)

I would go to the hot water source.I have had similar experience's with faucets and water.I found deposits from the water heater flowing through the DHW.Dip tube could be giving it up.Check the anode.

cheese
  • PJO
    PJO Member Posts: 140
    Options
    Supply water...

Is it supplied by a well? If so, could be Calcium and/or Magnesium...the hardness will precipitate when heated, and settles/attaches to stuff. If it's city water and the anode is fine, do a quick hardness test anyway...then call the water company if it's above about 120 or so ppm.

Looks like calcium to me, if it's not the anode.

Hope this helps, PJO
  • ScottMP
    Options
    Yes

But I got a nasty paper cut the other day !!

I think we'll check the anode also, good call.

Thanks Pal.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • jeff_7
    jeff_7 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    particals

Scott
    I had this problrm and it most likly is the dip tube falling apart try pulling the tube and you will know. You will have to flush the tank out to get rid of the build up.

Jeff
  • Scott25
    Scott25 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    I agree

Sounds and looks like calcium to me too. Remember that calcium has reverse solubility. The hotter the water, the less calcium can stay in suspension in solution of water. If a total hardness test indicates high levels of calcium then the best solution may be a water softner.

Scott
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    IF they recently added a water softener

to old pipes it will actually try to "clean" the pipes. It's terrible around here when people add one to old galvanized pipes. That stuff almost looks to me like the light scale that forms on the inside of copper tubing.
  • ScottMP
    Options
  • ScottMP
    Options
    Vinigar

Good tip Glenn. I know it helps with old steam vents. I guess I gotta start stocking Vinigar now !

This tube was gone ! I had know idea how they were getting any hot water.

Scott

This discussion has been closed.