Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

anyone seen this fitting ?

Options
Don_2
Don_2 Member Posts: 47
> it's actually only to prevent dirt/debris from <BR>
> getting into the trap....i shouldn't have <BR>
> mentioned rain.....we use the detail for indoor <BR>
> or outdoor gravity condensate drains (pump is <BR>
> downstream of this pipng if required)...jim...a <BR>
> gooseneck arrangement like you describe will do <BR>
> what i'm trying to do...great suggestion....maybe <BR>
> we'll change our standard detail ....did i say <BR>
> that?!! ;).....engineers just like to draw pretty <BR>
> stuff, the obvious reason being 'it's the way <BR>
> we've done it for the last 15+ years'[we only <BR>
> drew it once & used it 1000 times].....it also <BR>
> helps in 'discussions' during installation & <BR>
> saves an RFI or 2....the main purpose of the <BR>
> detail is to get the right trap height based on <BR>
> static pressure at the drain pan....we've had to <BR>
> install the horizontal portion in the ceiling on <BR>
> the floor below, with the 2 vertical legs cored <BR>
> thru the slab & firestopped......this is the 1st <BR>
> time a contractor has asked me where to get the <BR>
> fitting....<BR>
> <BR>
> ...zeb/ron....thanks for the oil <BR>
> vent cap tip, we'll just pull the mesh screen.... <BR>
> ...don...i checked out the waterless trap...i'll <BR>
> chew on it for a while, but how does it trap when <BR>
> the fan is off...and it looks like you can <BR>
> pressurize the entire sewage system (drain & vent <BR>
> piping) even if the pan & bypass connections get <BR>
> clogged ...also, the jury's out on mitered <BR>
> fittings for gravity flow...i'll ask a local <BR>
> plumbing inspector, but i think it would be a <BR>
> hard sell in this <BR>
> town....<BR>
> <BR>
> http://www.universalvalve.com/41-15. <BR>
> html <BR>
<BR>

Comments

• j_3
    j_3 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    cooling question on a heating web site....

...condensate drain open end vent cap......is this a standard fitting? (the vent cap prevents rain/dirt from getting into the piping
  • zeb_3
    zeb_3 Member Posts: 104
    Options
    Vent cap

It appears to be similar to a vent cap that would be installed on the vent pipe of a fuel oil tank. Check out your local heating distributer.
  • Don_2
    Don_2 Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Outside

Drain trap,That sure is pretty,not to say its not a
    good idea.If you are installing on roof top unit,may I
    suggest the fluidic flow device,the best drain seal design
    going today.
    The seal is formed by the unique combination of hydraulic
    and pneumatic forces in the hvac system.It uses air has the seal Interm negates the problem associated with a water seal.Have not try this on residental system yet,but I am sure thinking about it.Made by Trent Technologies.
  • JimGPE_3
    JimGPE_3 Member Posts: 240
    Options
    Some engineer run amok?

I'm not sure why the engineer would care if rain got into the trap - its a drain! It probably drains onto the roof about 6" from where the rain would have fallen anyway!

Having said that, if dirt and/or rain is of concern, why not just install on top of the vent nipple an ell looking over, then an ell looking down (a cane handle) with standard fittings and forget the fancy stuff. It would do the same thing with standard parts.

In addition, the condensate pump mentioned in the detail tells me this is an indoor installation. No rain there....

Sometimes we engineers just like to draw pretty stuff for no obvious reason!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That is a

mushroom vent cap. Look at the nearest #2 fuel storage tank, and there it is. Available anywhere oil heating equipment is sold.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Options
    yea...some engineer ran amok...

it's actually only to prevent dirt/debris from getting into the trap....i shouldn't have mentioned rain.....we use the detail for indoor or outdoor gravity condensate drains (pump is downstream of this pipng if required)...jim...a gooseneck arrangement like you describe will do what i'm trying to do...great suggestion....maybe we'll change our standard detail ....did i say that?!! ;).....engineers just like to draw pretty stuff, the obvious reason being 'it's the way we've done it for the last 15+ years'[we only drew it once & used it 1000 times].....it also helps in 'discussions' during installation & saves an RFI or 2....the main purpose of the detail is to get the right trap height based on static pressure at the drain pan....we've had to install the horizontal portion in the ceiling on the floor below, with the 2 vertical legs cored thru the slab & firestopped......this is the 1st time a contractor has asked me where to get the fitting....

...zeb/ron....thanks for the oil vent cap tip, we'll just pull the mesh screen....

...don...i checked out the waterless trap...i'll chew on it for a while, but how does it trap when the fan is off...and it looks like you can pressurize the entire sewage system (drain & vent piping) even if the pan & bypass connections get clogged ...also, the jury's out on mitered fittings for gravity flow...i'll ask a local plumbing inspector, but i think it would be a hard sell in this town....

http://www.universalvalve.com/41-15.html
  • FRANK_8
    FRANK_8 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    TRAP VENT

I'm "only" a plumber, but this is how I see it............
    the purpose of the trap is to prevent cooled air from entering the condensate drain. The purpose of the vent is just like a regular plumbing vent, to prevent trap siphonage. Air will be drawn into the drain piping when the condensate flows, preventing a vacuum from being formed and pulling the trap seal with it.
    As far as the opening goes, well an oil tank vent is usually 1 1/4". The trap piping is usually smaller than that. A compination of a street L and L works fine.
  • JimGPE_3
    JimGPE_3 Member Posts: 240
    Options
    Oops! Wait - did I say that out loud???

So nice to meet another engineer with a sense of humor - there are so VERY few of us out there!

BTW - I've always thought the biggest purpose for the trap in a condensate line (if the drain pan is on the suction side of the fan) is to keep the fan from sucking air up the drain which keeps the condensate from draining down the drain. The wind speed up the pipe is sufficient to entrain the condensate back into the drain pan against gravity.
This discussion has been closed.