Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaky burnham

Options
felix
felix Member Posts: 3
My home has a 25 year old burnham single pipe steam boiler.The inspection cover on the side of the boiler is leaking steam. I removed the bolts and tried to remove the cover but it wouldn't move easily.I didn't want to damage it and be without heat in the middle of winter. I plan on replacing the boiler this year because a newer unit would be more effecient,but the leak has gotten worse.Can anybody tell me how to take the inspection cover off,is it just a mater of resealing the cover or will I find a crack?Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Comments

• John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    Felix, it's not an inspection cover it's a blank

cover for where a tankless hot water heater would go.There is a gasket between the cover and boiler face. How hard to replace,depends after 25 years. If studs and the nuts are still in good shape easy,but if bolts you can count on breaking aleast one which will need to be drilled out and retapped.You know your skill level better than me so if you can drill and tap measure the plate and bolt pattern and go to a heating supply house for a gasket first or you may want to have a pro handle this for you. Hope this helps John@Reliable
  • felix
    Options

I've replaced the bolts already.The cover is round on the side of the boiler.Steam comes out,not water.I tried some light prying,and tapping with a small hammer.When it didn't move I left it alone.That was last year.I installed aluminium crush washer on the bolts.This year its hissing alittle more.If it's just a gasket i'll work at it alittle harder.I have the means to fabricate just about anything.What do you think the gasket is made of? Thanks for the information.
  • Steam Leak

Felix,

John is right. That is a cover plate for where a tankless heater would have been installed if it had one. The gaskets were and still are made of a red rubber compound that is tolerant to temperatures in steam applications. These are available as a replacement part. The part number will probably be a Burnham #8036020 but I would need the model number of the boiler to positively confirm that. Tightening up on the bolts is more than likely not going to do any good as these gaskets get stiff and brittle with age. I would definitely address this now as that leaking steam may etch a corrosion line in the cast iron mating surface, if it hasn't already. Hope this helps.

Glenn Stanton

Burnham Corp.
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    Felix,

It's rubber. You can maybe find a premade one or buy some rubber sheet at a supply house. Most will have 12"x12" sheets or rolls of 12" x 10' and about 1/8" thick,cuts easy. If you find the face badly pitted use some "form a gasket" on surface before putting back together. You will find "form a gasket" at auto supply store. P.S. they can sometimes take heavy prying and banging. Good luck! John@Reliable
  • felix
    Options
    Thank you

Thank you for your help.Now that I know what Im dealing with,I'll jump on it right away.
  • zeb_3
    zeb_3 Member Posts: 104
    Options
    I just want

to make sure that you shut the boiler down and open something(boiler drain)to relieve the pressure. If the cover comes off and there is pressure behind it you could get a face full of steam.
This discussion has been closed.