Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does this look right?

Options
Ron Root
Ron Root Member Posts: 2
Over 98% of our business is forced-air (residential). After repairing a Garage unit heater, The customer asked me to check a smell in the equipment room. It was a dry drain, and I poured a bucket of water in it. While there I noticed one boiler would fire, water temp reached 175 and went off on limit, then the other boiler would fire and do the same. This process repeated over and over. This is a new customer, and I didn't want to ask the foreman to come out and cause a problem for the contractor that installed these boilers with the customer, as I'm not that knowledgeable in hydronics (I'm learning through this site and Dan's books). We've been so busy I can't seem to hook up with the foreman, my printer is not good enough to leave the shots for him, and I would have to request dispatch send him out. I always have a camera with me to record any steam or hydronic system I see. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Floyd
    Floyd Member Posts: 429
    Options
    No, definetly not...

It is hard for me to tell what's going on there from those pictures.
    But, a few observations from what I can see....

The piping defintely looks too small for all those circs. and the size of them,
    there has to be some noise from the high velocities in those pipes.
    I'm not sure that they are even piped right, but can't really tell.
    Also, how are they being controlled...sounds like there may be some
    control issues there.

I would definetly get it looked at.....they probably aren't working as efficiently as they could be.
    Get a Tekmar on them for reset and boiler sequencing....the people and the boilers will love you!!

Floyd
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    I agree...

many things don't look right. I see at least one small pump in series with a larger pump. Any chance you can make us a diagram of the near boiler piping?

ME

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Gary Usa_2
    Gary Usa_2 Member Posts: 45
    Options
    not sure

hiya,i couldn;t see any ballvalves or purge valves in the system,extrol tank where is that hiding.on the pressure relief valves should have been a compression fitting so that it can be changed alot easier when it leaks.noted that all the pumps are on the return,is their a flue break damper within the flue.the headers don;t look central to the header,if possible please would you be so kind to draw the close boiler piping out for us.the pipesiszing looks abit small,if you could be so kind to put a drawing on would make it alot clearer

take care

all the best

gary usa
  • Mark R Grant
    Mark R Grant Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Looks like you have a Tekmar Already.

From what you desribed and from the sensor on picture#1 you have a Tekmar or something similar already. This control is made to Lead Lag the boilers so that in milder weather you make use of each boiler equally and it stages them in the colder weather to get more capacity. Tekmar has a lot of info available to study up on their products. I like them also.
  • John Jr
    John Jr Member Posts: 210
    Options
    Re-pipe

From what I see the boiler supply lines coming out of the boilers are wrong. They need to be spaced the same coming out and going to a tee for both the supply and return.

John Jr
This discussion has been closed.