Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I quit

Options
my boss is more concerned with the numbers I bring in instead of by the quality of my work. I have been in the trade for 14 years, have a master plumber license,I have worked for the same company for 9 years plus.Here is my beef, when I first started working for this co. we were a 3 man shop, my boss, me and a helper. We rotated the on call shift 1 week each for 5 years. I take pride in saying this, WE BOTH BUILT THAT COMPANY, yes I was his employee, and he was my boss, but we both built that co. About 3 years ago he switched to flat rate. Now, I have no problem with flat rate, but we are now a 5 "mechanic" shop and we have meetings every tuesday morning. In those tuesday morning meetings we discuss all types of things......like numbers, about 3 mos. ago my boss started talking about everyone bringing up their numbers, mind you I was doing about $3500/WK. these were honest sales. At this last meeting he started telling me that I now must bring in(get this) SIX TIMES MY SALARY or I would have to take a $5/hr pay cut!!!can you believe this? I make 50k/yr so I must bring in 300k!!!!!meanwhile he hires these"mechanics" who have less then 3 yrs experience but b.s. the customer and sell unnecassary upgrades, and I mean unnecassary. For example, "ma'am your water heater is 6yrs old its time to replace it, if it leaks youre gonna flood away" meanwhile its a 10 year heater!!!and many more scare tactics. Now I am a master plumber, know hydronic heating, including radiant(installs & service) can service and repair warm air, and can do some a/c troubleshooting and do annuals. meanwhile these so called mechanics(salesmen) couldnt carry my tools. This is why I quit my job today...Thanks for letting me rant..signed...looking for work in westchester

Comments

• jeff_25
    jeff_25 Member Posts: 110
    Options

good for you maybe now you will sleep better jeff
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
  • Rick Kelly
    Rick Kelly Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Time wounds all heels

I won't say too bad Jimmy because if your skills are what you say they are, you won't have any problem hooking up with someone who will appreciate what you bring to the table. What happened to you happened to me this past year. I won't mention any names but to those out there who know me, heed my words.

There's all these discussions constantly going back and forth in the industry about professionalism, marketing, training and retaining, pride, and blah,blah, etc...

Unless you run your own show or are lucky enough to work for a successful person that hasn't forgotten what it's like to be on your knees in a wet crawl space, you're going to be used as a tool. Sometimes you don't know what you got until it's gone and for all the years you put in for your exboss (sic) by now he's not better off. You can bet on that! Let that fact be your tonic. But don't take any bitterness to your new stop. Hold your head high with the confidence of a man with undeniable skills and show your worth.

There's a bunch of guys out there who putting the cart before the horse. And unless you're running a horseless carriage kind of operation, you're going nowhere if you can't do right by your labor.
  • keith
    keith Member Posts: 224
    Options
    employment

Jimmy, email me your Phone #.We do commercial work in Ct./ Westchester/ Long Island ect. A well versed tech with people skills and a genuine concern for doing the right thing never goes out of style. Give me a call. By the way, you must have been at the end of your rope to quit a long standing job before finding a new one. Or extremly confident in your abilities. Good Luck Jim, Integrity is an excellent virtue.
  • Bob C.
    Bob C. Member Posts: 20
    Options
    there all the same

I don’t want to get you down and I agree with your actions but after going shop to shop I find that there all the same. Of course sometimes you find a boss that is decent to work for but even he is motivated by the money. I know I need to justify such a statement but if you think about it, he wouldn’t be running (owning) a business if he wasn’t trying to make money.

When I feel I’ve been or am being treated unfairly I look at the situation from a pure business perspective; I discount any thoughts that have to do with jobs, past initiative, fellow workers and such things. I just look at the bottom line he’s in it to make money and if I can see his point I can deal with it. That not to say I agree with him cheating or being dishonest.

The problem I see with most people (I’m not associating this with you) is that they feel that their boss owes them something. This is a funny thing but I see it in a lot of people I work with. In actuality these people have to go back and think about how they got into the situation there in. In most cases the worker applies for a job; he is willing to offer his services in return for an agreed amount of compensation. The employer then agrees to give you a job, sure he is using you to make money but that’s what you agreed on. Where does the mentality of the employer owing you something come from? I hear guys say “I’m sick of making this **** rich and getting nothing in return.” It almost seems like they forget that they are getting something in return, a pay check!

I always put in extra effort when I work and I make sure things come out right but to me this is something I do for ME not for my company (the boss), the general contractor or the client. I do it because it what I do. I always bring the jobs in on time and make him money and I’m sure there are jobs that if someone else ran the job they would have made more money but at least I can say that I did it to the scope of the work and didn’t cut any corners. So I try to stay away from the irrational belief that because I do extra he owes me something.

If you can look at work this way you’ll find that it easier to be happy at what you do.

Bob Cat
  • Bill_14
    Bill_14 Member Posts: 345
    Options
    I can assure you

that all employers are not as you describe. I think most would agree.

Bill
  • Bob C.
    Bob C. Member Posts: 20
    Options
    you may be right

Bill you may be right I forget sometimes that the internet reaches so many people. In my region(Boston, Mass) it seems like employers are motivated this way. I'm not saying they show no compassion or understanding, but it seems that most decisions are made in the principle interest of money.

I haven't travelled the US. too much but when I do I notice that people are generally nicer then they are in Mass. Are you from Mass?
  • Bill_14
    Bill_14 Member Posts: 345
    Options
    From Oklahoma

There are a lot of guys in business Bob that do not handle pressure very well. These guys have the same personal and family pressures that you do as an employee, but when you add the financial pressures (stress) of a business, some do not have the temperament to balance everything...it is really tough at times.

In my opinion, it takes a guy about 5 years of hard work and struggle to start chilling out a little. However, regardless of his temperament, he is still going to face lots of problems. He will just get better dealing with them as he matures in the business.

Employers and employees get better at what they do once they understand the contracting business is feast or famine…there will be good times and bad times.

If an employer is greedy, demanding, a jerk, etc., chances are this is his basic personality and he was that way, in his past, as an employee. Good guys don’t turn bad just because they own a business…good character, honesty, integrity, hard work and compassion for others seem be a common thread with the good guys.

For every 10 bad employers, there are probably a 100 or more good employers. If you have a bad one and you are not happy there, I recommend you take your boss to lunch and have a heart-to-heart and find out more of what makes him tick. Sometimes you gotta get to know this guy better…maybe he has some “hidden talent” that allows him to recognize that you really care and that you are truly important to him as an employee and as a person.

I just know that people are people and people will make mistakes.

Good luck Bob.

Bill Russell
    Tulsa, OK
  • mp1969
    mp1969 Member Posts: 226
    Options
    Quitting

Jimmie,
    I have done the same thing several times and always ended up happier. Honesty and ethics will take you alot further than number crunching ! Be proud of your expertise and values.You certainly will land on your feet.

Best of luck!
    MP 1969

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Howard
    Howard Member Posts: 57
    Options
    I quit, too

about a year ago and again about a month ago. Currently service tech with large successful company. Installers put the pump in the wrong place and pipe the expansion tank all stupid. Heat pump had a bouquet of wire nuts and no drawing. Service techs can't troubleshoot their way out of a grocery bag. I'm astonished how someone can be successful in the heating field without employing experts in the field. I shouldn't crab. They treat me right and pay is ok. I'd rather be associated with experts than be the designated guy to fix other people's goofs. It can sure be frustrating.
This discussion has been closed.