Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant vs. FWA

Options
Noel Kelly
Noel Kelly Member Posts: 43
Haven't seen any references to this so I thought I'd throw it out there.

http://www.nahbrc.org/tertiaryR.asp?TrackID=&DocumentID=3672&CategoryID=1505

Comments

• Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options
    NAHB project

Noel-

This report is very preliminary and there has been no official release. They are still analyzing the data and to make sure they are not comparing apples to oranges.

Actually John Fantuzzi of the RPA is working with the NAHB to help analyze the data.

I spoke with the NAHBrc and they are still lokking into is also. I belive there was a small article in the RPA report.
    Dave H
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    Hmmmmmmm

Noel,

I always thought you were such a nice guy:) Studies....opinions.....numbers.......graphs........who wins or loses??I get kinda sick of it.

Bottom line........radiant is a unique heat(IMO).It is a very comfortable heat.If you walk in a home that is heated with radiant you notice it.......at least I do.I work in many new homes.I would say that 95% of them are FA either LP or heat pump.The heat pumps are backed up with electric coil.I do notice the swings in the FA homes.I do.......thats me.Am I bias......uhhhhh yep.Does this affect my comfort "sensativity"?Nope.......When the air handler kicks in the home is overwhelmed with heat.It is not a constant temp or warmth that radiant gives me.

I do know that the Hi-V systems I install are similar to the feeling I get with radiant floor heat.Less the warm floors.The constant fan gives the home a very very balanced temerature.

As far as thermostat set point.I wont design for 65 or 68*.I am going to 72*!What the Europeans do and what Americans do in their homes are night and day.I have never been to Europe.But my understanding is that lower settings and sweaters.If I am fortunate to sell a system with hydronics most HO's want to lay around in shorts and a tee shirt and enjoy the really cool system!errrrrrrrr warm:)

It is few and far between that I sell a system and the HO's are concerned with keeping it cool.Although last year I did sell a reset job with panel rads,constant circulation and TRV's.They love it.........and keep theTRV's down to a modest setting and it is very comfy in the home.

What do all these studies mean to me anymore..........nothing.They are getting damn boring:)Low temperature hydronics are cool.......comfortable......in for the long haul and cost more than FA systems.Splitting hairs ........WORN OUT MAN!

cheese
This discussion has been closed.