Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Now I know why you wire your own boilers- scott

Options
ScottMP
ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
We just installed another munchkin. This one has the new 925 control, really sweet. It a nice job and one that I will post pictures of. I think you guys will really like it.

But yesterday.... I had the new super-stor indirect installed on wednesday, and my ( usually really good ) electricain sent a kid over to wire the new indirect. Now the owner is coming from out of town to see his new system at 12:00. My electrican calls me at 9:30 to tell me the fault code is reading NC ??? Since I am in the truck, I call for John Sawyer who works for Heat Transfer Products, and tell the electrican to check the flue outside and the fuse on the board. "Nothing wrong " he says.

So a little while later John Sawyer, who is in another state calls to tell me that he not familar with that code and maybe I should check the new control and reprogram it. When I get to the job theres a note from the electricains helper, "Board is Blown" ??????? What the ....

This kid blew the board and never told his boss or ME !!

SOOO I run and get a new board out of a new boiler that my supplier ( Peabody Supply -- thanks Steve ) lets me take.

I get back to the job as the new owner arrives. Oh a little problem but we'll be up in running in no time says I.

Now I get a fault code of E13, then F13. This is a faulty fan speed. I check my wiring .. nope.

Call the rep and wait for his return call. While waiting I go down to the crawl space to show the owner how we cleaned up the crawl space with our new piping and PLOP, I drop my nextel phone into the *&^%ing sump pit. NOW I have no phone.

Now I am calling Heat Transfer Products and running back and forth from the kitchen phone to the new boiler, while Dave Davies and crew try to simulate my problem and find out whats wrong, as the house gets cold and the owner says " why dont I come back tommorrow ".

Finally Dave Davies says " Go to Peabody Supply and get a whole new fan/gas valve and wiring set up. Sounds like he blew the harness and maybe the damaged the fan, in any case lets get this thing going again ".

SO NOW, I have to run to the supply ( after dismantling the boiler ) during a snowstorm, tear down their boiler in the warehouse, act like a madman, yell I am taking these parts as I run out the door, while their counter people stare in disbelieve, and put it all back together on the job.

We now have heat, I now know how to completly rewire a Munckin, and pork chops don't taste that bad cold.

Thanks to Peabody Supply and Steve Lamphry, for their help and putting up with the rude banshee plumber.

Thanks to Dave Davies and crew for their putting up with a frustrated guy on the phone ( "wait while I run to the boiler" ).

Oh did I tell you I had to have a tooth drilled during this and did'nt have time for the novicane ?

Did I tell you I had three interviews for office help that my office maneger did on her own cause I could'nt leave the job.

ITS FRIDAY.... I'll be drinking early.

Scott

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=237&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    One of the advantages...........

of living where I do, is we don't need a license to do anything! I can do all of my own wiring since the thought of Sparky throwing wire at my boards makes me shudder. Great story, Scott! Sometimes it just doesn't pay to start the truck in the morning.

Warm Regards,

hb

"Expert in Silent Warmth"™

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
    Options
    Electricans

Whenever I do a radiant system, I tell the sparky to leave me a piece of wire coming out of a switch and I will wire my stuff. I know enough of the code to know what to do.

I also tell the electrician that if he gets turned down on his final because of my wiring, I'll pay the re-inspection fee. Works every time.

J.
  • Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    What a story

I've had days like that and wonder why I don't just go to work for the school system or something where nothing is an emergency and if you do your work too fast the other guys think your'e showing off and trying to make them look bad. But apparently I love a challenge. So I put myself through times like the day you had and for the most part love it greatly. I'm about to start up my first Munchkin tommorow. Hope it goes better for me. I'll be doing my own wiring. Have a drink for me. WW

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    Mr Scott

I feel your pain(big help)!If anything could go wrong it will!Days like that seem to never end.Thankfully they are few and far between.

Sleep well tonight:)

cheese
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Mike and others

The last time I had a day that bad I stepped out of my van at in the drivway and put my foot right in the dog pile.

All I could do was look up and ask " Is this it, or is there more coming " !!!

A little Bass Ale will help me sleep tonight.

Besides Tommorrow night is the Company Christmas Party..
    It will make Wetstock look like .. well wetstock :).

Scott " smiling today " Milne

• eleft(retired)
    eleft(retired) Member Posts: 98
    Options
    Better days are here again.

Assume nothing... Stuff like this makes you a smarter better tech.

Call it tuition!

al

ps. is the pool going to be open for the party??
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Did he also mention ?

That the guy with the blown up back , who was on his way to physical therapy stopped by to TRY to put out the fires as they arose ? Waited for the electrician , and was subsequently late for his pt appt, all the while comforting the HO (but the good lord gave me an excuse , the weather !) .
    The learning curve has been expanded ! Now we take what we learned and apply it accordingly .

Wait till you guys see the stand the owner fabricated . HTP may want to speak with him ! Chris. P.S. Scott , thanks for making me feel somewhat useful . It was great to be thrown to the wolves ! I can't believe how much I miss it .
  • Wiring Munchkin

when I run classes on the Munchkin you can come and teach us how to wire it. Good job Scott, just one more step up the ladder of knowledge. I give you credit for your stick tuitivness. By the way can I have your autograph, John Hall gave you quite a nice write up in the latest NEWS (December 2 Issue). You are becoming a celebrity.
  • What would he do

with out you Chris, bad back and all.
This discussion has been closed.