Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant Leak

Options
Hi all, I was wondering if you guys had a quick fix for a radiant leak in my kitchen. The plumbing co. found the leak in my radiant heating line. The problem is now they have to break my mosaic tiles to access the leak. they say they have to brake open approximately a 36" x 36" area. THIS TILE IS DAMN EXPENSIVE!!!! what are my options im looking at about $4000.00 to open the floor, close the floor and replace with tiles that may not match 100%. Then I have to pay to repair radiant leak. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Gerald

Comments

• Timmothy S. Plennum
    Options
    radiant slab leak

Hi all, I was wondering if you guys had a quick fix for a radiant leak in my kitchen. The plumbing co. found the leak in my radiant heating line. The problem is now they have to break my mosaic tiles to access the leak. they say they have to brake open approximately a 36" x 36" area. THESE TILEs ARE DAMN EXPENSIVE!!!! what are my options im looking at about $4000.00 to open the floor, close the floor and replace with tiles that may not match 100%. Then I have to pay to repair radiant leak. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Gerald
  • Timmothy S. Plennum
    Options
    leak

You guys know what my answer would be right?????Timmothy
  • Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
    Options
    We know

That you are going to say that he has a great heating system and that we'll be glad to think of a good thing to do to help him out.
  • Rick Kelly
    Rick Kelly Member Posts: 40
    Options
    leaking radiant tube

Assuming that your radiant floor is made up of more than one loop, Disconnect the offending tube and allow for the remaining loops to pick up the slack. Even if you end up with some cooler spots, you know what the alternative is.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    What type of tube?

and how old is it? I am of the opinion some of the older copper and steel pipe systems, under certain circumstances, wear out! If this is the case more leaks may follow.

Slab on grade? If so any movement or cracking anywhere?

If it is a newer plastic or rubber system you may try some hydronic leak stop. I have had limited sucess with these but did have a couple "wins" Any way to install a meter on the boiler fill to get an idea of how much of a leak you have?

Abandoning a loop may work but will leave you with some cols spots. Plan B?

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • HeavyP
    HeavyP Member Posts: 52
    Options

Pes tubing
  • kevin_5
    kevin_5 Member Posts: 308
    Options
    Where'd I see it?

I saw a post (search the archives) about a company that was able to clean and epoxy coat the inside of domestic water pipes as small as 1/2" diameter. They were doing large apartment buildings etc.. to save the cost of tearing it up. Cost would probobly be high and hard to find someone as well, but if you REALLY like your tiles, that may be another option. Kevin
  • allen
    allen Member Posts: 12
    Options

Disconnect the loop and go with a kick heater under the counter.

A.
  • Greg Durgin
    Greg Durgin Member Posts: 12
    Options
    pipe restoration

Kevin,

There was an article in the Oct 2002 issue of P&H Contractor News about a system that cleans the inside of installed piping and coats it with an epoxy surface. ACE Duraflo Systems. Perhaps that was what you were remembering?

Greg
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Mark J Strawcutter Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Anybody following

the latest series of "Dream House" episodes on HGTV?

11k sq ft on 4 acres in Potomic Md. All concrete, all in-floor radiant.

No pressure test before pours, each episode likes to call attention to tubing punctures by some other trade.

Each series of the show has tended to concentrate on the negative aspects of building a home and this one is no exception. I hope the owners get a chance to comment on how great the heat is once the house is finished.

Mark
This discussion has been closed.