Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cool basement

Options
Dan m_2
Dan m_2 Member Posts: 15
As I have remodeled I have replaced my modified old gravity system piping with new 1" copper pipe and a new Circulator pump. The system works well and the living areas of the house are warm. The only dounside is that my basement is a lot cooler. I am a little concerned about it getting too cold in severe weather. I simplified pipe routing from the old system because it used to go in every direction and often doubled back ( years of modification)I then insulated the pipes as they routed through the basement. I left some sections un-insulated to provide a little heat but its still too cool. Is their anything that i can add to the piping that will give me a little more heating in the basement. In other words how do boiler people best heat their basements. ( Weil_Mclain GV5)

Thanks

Ps. I Live in nothern IL . Are boilers more common out east than in my area . The heating guys that i have used dont seem to have the background in boilers that i see on this site . Many appear to work with forced air but will install a boiler. I read this site every day and find it very interesting how much more envolved the installation can be when done right. I find the science behind the equipment very interesting and enjoy snooping in on your guys conversations ( Im not a wethead , not even damp)

Comments

• Dan m_2
    Options
    Cool basement

As I have remodeled I have replaced my modified old gravity system piping with new 1" copper pipe and a new Circulator pump. The system works well and the living areas of the house are warm. The only dounside is that my basement is a lot cooler. I am a little concerned about it getting too cold in severe weather. I simplified pipe routing from the old system because it used to go in every direction and often doubled back ( years of modification)I then insulated the pipes as they routed through the basement. I left some sections un-insulated to provide a little heat but its still too cool. Is their anything that i can add to the piping that will give me a little more heating in the basement. In other words how do boiler people best heat their basements. ( Weil_Mclain GV5)

Thanks

Ps. I Live in nothern IL . Are boilers more common out east than in my area . The heating guys that i have used dont seem to have the background in boilers that i see on this site . Many appear to work with forced air but will install a boiler. I read this site every day and find it very interesting how much more envolved the installation can be when done right. I find the science behind the equipment very interesting and enjoy snooping in on your guys conversations ( Im not a wethead , not even damp)
  • keith
    keith Member Posts: 224
    Options
    cool basement

Why not install a seperate baseboard zone for the basement?
    You can aproach this from 2 ways. Either have the area sized for a minimum temp. requirement ( say 50 Degrees)and let the baseboard cook 100% on a design day. Or you can install additional base board so that the space can be heated quickly and to a higher than minimum temp if you desire.
    Can't speak for your part of the country but in Ct. it seems te be about 50/50 hydronics and warm air.
  • Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    I agree with Keith.

Add a zone of baseboard or find an old radiator preferably with fancy scroll work all over it for just a dash of class. I have a customer who has an old radiator with a cavity in the middle of it with a door so you can warm pies or towels (or even massage oils if that's your bag.) Hydronics are very versatile. Your imagination (or your checkbook ) are your only limit. WW

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Dan m_2
    Options
    Message oils

You been my house ?
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    Did you insulate

your basement. Perhaps after you insulate the walls at least to 2 feet below grade the basement will be warm enough. The cheapest thing to do is to buy some baseboard with the fins on and hang it from the ceiling, the fins really put out alot more heat than bare pipe, you could parallel with one of your current zones or add a zone valve and stat just for the basement.
  • Boilerpro
    Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
    Options
    I'm in Northern Illinois...

and might be able to give you a hand if needed. Located in Amboy, about Rte 30 and 52. Yep this is scorcehd air country...More concentrated here than anywhere else in the world I believe....Probably because fuel costs are also the lowest so people can afford to heat with hot air. If you are just looking to add a little extra heat just take out a section of 3/4 inch line and install a length of fintube baseboard element. You can also get one inch if taking out a section of main.

Boilerpro

Boiler Professionals, Amboy
  • Glenn Harrison
    Glenn Harrison Member Posts: 405
    Options
    Another Northern Illinois Boiler Contractor

To answer your question, yes Northern Illinois is mostly scorched air. Too many people wanting Air Conditioning (Which is fine) and to many contractors quoting prices for tearing out Steam and Hot Water systems and converting entire houses to scorched air with A/C. Also WAY to many builders going super cheap on the mechanical systems. In fact thats a good majority of our retrofit work is redoing BAD ductwork systems in fairly new homes. I'll admit that we do alot more ductwork and forced air systems but we also do plenty of hydronic systems also, both retrofit and repair, and new installs.

We are located in Crystal Lake, Illinois (South McHenry County) and service the entire 6 County Chicago area plus (I've been as far west as Rockford and North into Kenosha).

If we aren't too far away and can be of assistance, Please feel free to call our office, or e-mail me and I"ll do what I can.

Thanks,
    Glenn Harrison
    Res. Service Tech

Althoff Industries Inc.
    Crystal Lake, Illinois

800-225-2443

www.althoffind.com
  • Odieds69
    Odieds69 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Im in Chicago and this is what i did

Ok i just bought my 1st home almost 2 years ago, it was march when i got it so i didnt think anything much about heat.. Anyways the next heating season i noticed the basement was cold..i had no heat there at all... i looked around and came across a ton of contractors.. We where conserned about having a boiler and also wanted AC so every contractored wanted to ripe out the boiler system and put in forced air....I however being think headed didnt want to lose any ceilling space in the basement to all theis tacky looking duct work...so i found a solution from a contractor who turned out to be wonderfull(email me if u want the number) i did like the rest said in this thread and got the extra zone added to basement with baseboard heating and i love it.. I had to open a few walls but wasnt a big deal since i was remodleing anyways and wanted to add insulation oh yeah..and a theatre room=) andways that solved heating(BTW it was around 2k i had 3 rooms a bathroom and laundry room done so total of 5 rooms so u can figures ur set i from that) and as far as AC went i got the spacepac where the air vents are in the ceilling and little 3 inch holes kinda looks like resest lighting...so i have the best of both worlds ...radiators since heat rises and AC from ceilling since cold air falls...hope this helps..and email me if u want the contractor i would deffenitly reccomend them

~Warren
This discussion has been closed.