Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cast iron baseboard

Options
Bill_9
Bill_9 Member Posts: 1
I am in the process of converting an 1896 former school into my single family home. I have decided to use cast iron baseboard throughout the home. However, I cannot located any used material that would work in the application. Due to the size of the the project and the fact that I am a salvage yard enthusiast, I am trying to be as cost effective as possible. I live in South Eastern Massachusetts and have started the search. Any leads would be appreciated.

Comments

• J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    You can try....

Burnham , they still make the C.I. baseboard (they bought American Standard) new . As far as used goes , I don't know if I would go that route . Some of the "animals"(think "muppets" ) that remove the stuff are , shall we say, a little less than careful when removing it. The walls of this wonderfull product are very thin at the points where it counts the most .Any mishandling of the sections could cause an unwanted mess .

If you insist on "recycled" materials , I would say to start at A-1 re-cyclers in Sommerville Ma. . I don't know if they are capable , but I would ask if they can pressure test the stuff prior to purchase (Mr. Mad Dog?). Best of luck . Chris.
  • Walt
    Walt Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Cast Iron

A-1 re-cyclers in Sommerville is very good...also very expensive. Baseboard is hard to find in the salvage market in MA...I've kept my eyes open for it while looking for radiators. There is a archtectual salvage guy near the Cape who has a lot of radiators. I bet that he would keep an eye out for baseboard for you too. I'll dig up his name and post it later.

Regards...Walt
This discussion has been closed.