Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

GOTTA BE ANY EASY WAY

Options
I want to winterize my hydronic heating system ( basebard hot water) by adding an anti-freeze solution to the system. Which is the easiest/best way to replace the water in the system with the new anti-freeze solution? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,543
    Options
    Retired and loving it.
  • tp tunstall
    tp tunstall Member Posts: 63
    Options
    antifreeze

to do it right you have to calculate how much volume is in the system. that is where you start. then you have to know how volume is in the boiler. then you have to decide what temp you wnt to protect the system to. after these factors are determined then you have to look at the system and see where is the best place to install the antifreeze(after draining the system etc) most contractors have their own method. best , tp
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    To do it right

you would need to make sure the system is clean. The antifreeze REALLY should be blended with DI or good quality water. Then, generally it takes a small transfer pump to push the fluid into the system.

If valves and hose connections are in the right place you can pump in one valve and purge the old fluid out another. It's really hard to explain without seeing exactly what your system looks like.

See if you can find a contractor with the tools and skill to do it right the first time. Hydronic antifreeze is expensive!

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • sootmonkey
    sootmonkey Member Posts: 158
    Options
    Dan

Man!! O.K. I thought I knew EVERYTHING about antifreezing systems. Now you have this "book" on how to do it right. Five bucks, right...I was taught by Craig Carney at Southern Maine Tech. on how to plumb a boiler. He taught from your books. ("Pumping Away" was and is a required text book) O.K....Do I really Know Everything? Is it really going to cost me five bucks to find out. Hey, How do you do at the poker table? Soot
  • sootmonkey
    Options
    Dan

Man!! O.K. I thought I knew EVERYTHING about antifreezing systems. Now you have this "book" on how to do it right. Five bucks, right...I was taught by Craig Carney at Southern Maine Tech. on how to plumb a boiler. He taught from your books. ("Pumping Away" was and is a required text book) O.K....Do I really Know Everything? Is it really going to cost me five bucks to find out. Hey, How do you do at the poker table? Soot
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,543
    Options
    That's one of the Give & Get

lists. I asked the question and lots of pros shared their knowledge and experience. The five bucks helps pay me for the time I spent (many days) rewriting the lists so that they read well. Believe me, these lists are worth a lot more than five bucks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • sootmonkey
    Options
    Dan

You see thats the problem, I know that it is worth the 5 bucks,(I have bought a couple of your books) but man, I already Know everything....but.... :) Oh I'm so cheap. Soot
  • tp tunstall
    tp tunstall Member Posts: 63
    Options
    5 bucks is

nothing....knowledge is EVERYTHING. tp
This discussion has been closed.