Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding TRV's on 1 Pipe Steam system?

Options
Greg G.
Greg G. Member Posts: 1
In dan's book, The lost art of S.H. Page # 96 talks about adding TRV's to 1-Pipe Steam Systems. I looked @ a home this A.M. that has Steam Convectors, not Rads...
Is there any thing I should do different for Covectors that I would not do with Rad's?

Comments

• Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    You'll have a little pipe work to do

if you want the trv to be accessibile. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • DWood
    DWood Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Couple of things

first, depends on your definition of convector, if it has aluminum fins on it, pitch will be critical, and you'll probably have condensate spitting out the vent along with water hammer after the installation of the 1 ps valve. Inlet valve and convector tubing would probably have to be at least 1 pipe size larger than normal. The aluminum fins "give up" heat faster than cast iron rads and don't hold the heat as well, ie, more condensate on each cycle. This is why Danfoss does not recommend the use of our 1 pipe steam valve on copper baseboard systems. If the convector is cast iron single pass, increase the pitch back to the inlet and maybe it will work.
    also, if the convector is multipass, don't think I'd do it, do difficult to vent and drain.
    Good luck
    DWood
This discussion has been closed.