Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No-hub coupling for PVC?

Options
Jackchips
Jackchips Member Posts: 344
there is a different interpretation among inspectors. I am an assistant in a small town where my boss will not accept them. I personally do not see a problem, especially if you use the four band. Any other Mass plumbers out there with an opinion?

Comments

• Jerry
    Jerry Member Posts: 9
    Options

Can I use a no-hub coupling to join 2" CI to 2" PVC? They are the same in&outside diameter and the no-hub seems to make a much better connection than the all rubber Fernco type coupling I think I'm supposed to use. Does anyone agree or disagree? Does anyone care? ;-)

Thanks,
    Jerry
  • Alan Muller
    Alan Muller Member Posts: 31
    Options
    no-hub couplings on plastic

Lots of people do this. But strictly speaking the coupling should be marked and listed for the type of pipe you are using it on. No-hub couplings are usually only marked for no-hub iron. You can get couplings with stainless shields marked for plastic, steel, iron... Usually they are a bit longer.

Practices vary from place to place. I would not use the unshielded (plain rubber type) above grade except for temporary or emergency use.

am
  • Jerry
    Options

That's exactly why I asked. My suplier gave me the all rubber type and it is correctly marked. He says this is code approved, the no-hub is not, but the Fernco is a sloppy fit and does not insure pipe alignment. He doesn't have a shielded CI/PVC coupling. The no-hub (although shorter, as you said) makes a much stronger, tighter connection. Can you forsee any long term problems (indoor, residential, concealed)? I can't see a problem, but I want to do it right.
  • Jerry
    Options

> Lots of people do this. But strictly speaking

> the coupling should be marked and listed for the

> type of pipe you are using it on. No-hub

> couplings are usually only marked for no-hub

> iron. You can get couplings with stainless

> shields marked for plastic, steel, iron...

> Usually they are a bit longer.

>

> Practices vary

> from place to place. I would not use the

> unshielded (plain rubber type) above grade except

> for temporary or emergency use.

>

> am

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Is this for

drainage or plumbing, non pressurized installation? A transtition coupling is what you are looking for. Usually they are labeled with a neon colored sticker which describes the size. Inspectors in my area alway look for that sticker when transitioning from PVC to cast in new construction. Mission is the brand I used.

Hate to say it but, the box stores usually have the best selection on the shelves :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Rob Garcha
    Rob Garcha Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Pvc to No-Hub

Charlotte pipe and foundry makes a No-Hub adaptor model number PVC-119. It has a hub on one end and a ribbed spigot on the other. It is designed as a transitional fitting.
    Hope this helps.
    Rob
  • Alan Muller
    Alan Muller Member Posts: 31
    Options
    couplings

I don't know enough about the listing criteria to know whether there would likely be problems long-term or not. For runs of any length, thermal expansion is something to keep in mind.

www.fernco.com, 800.521.1283

www.missionrubber.com, 800.854.9991

(These are not the only sources)

No supplier is going to stock every coupling; there are hundreds of them. But it's reasonable to expect the common transition fittings to be in stock at a good supplier, and for them to be prepared to get the others quickly.

JMHO

am
  • masterplumb
    masterplumb Member Posts: 93
    Options
    n.h. cplg.

There would be nothing wrong with using a regular n.h. coupling connecting c.i. to p.v.c. unless your code prohibits it. They are both the same diameter. I would definitely use the n.h. instead of the fernco. You would not need a mission coupling unless you were going from cast to copper.Unless code prohibits. Also you could go from galvanized to pvc with a regular n.h. as well.Chris
  • Jerry
    Options

Drainage. I guess I should have mentioned that. I've never seen the neon stickers, in fact, the transition coupling I got from my suplier doesn't have a sticker, but it is marked for use. Just between you and me, maybe I'll take a look around the "box store". Shhhh... don't tell anyone!
  • Jerry
    Options

My supplier says the Fernco (all rubber) transition fitting is the correct one to use, so that's what he stocks. I just don't like it.
  • Jerry
    Options

That fitting looks great if I can find one. I can't see an inspector objecting to the use of a no-hub coupling on that since that's what it's designed for.

Thanks
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    In Mass

we use the four band NH clamps for No Hub Pipe.

All other transitions we use a properly sized mission clamp. These clamps are made to transition between differnt sized piping.

PVC and No Hub are not the same OD. If using a NH clamp wwe uae a pvc x NH adpt fitting.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • lead head
    lead head Member Posts: 3
    Options
    No- Hub Bru-Ha-Ha

I personally find a four band clamp much more secure( How the mission or fernco clamp ever passed the Mass code Shear test is beyond me) As for the outside diameter: the difference is no more than the acceptable range in either one. To be safe and code approved go with the pvc x nh adpt. and a four band clamp.
  • larry mintz
    larry mintz Member Posts: 2
    Options
    2\" nh to pvc

I'd use a 2" nh clamp with a nh x pvc adapt, the fernco clamp is the accepted (legal) code fitting here in michigan, but it's too cheesey for my jobs!
This discussion has been closed.